Forums Latest Members
  1. nathan91 Nov 27, 2015

hi,

I received a vintage omega watch from my grandfather that passed away 10 years ago. And i know nothing about the watch. It would be nice to find out some details of the watch. Hope someone can help me out.

kind regards,
    Nathan

IMG_3299.JPG

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 27, 2015

The watch looks circa 1970. To find out more, you going to have to take it to a watchmaker and take pictures of the inside of the case back and movement.

Then we can show you where to find the information you seek.
    gatorcpa

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2015

4. nathan91 Nov 28, 2015

thank you for the reactions. I went to the shop yesterday to get a new strap. It already looks much better :)
    IMG_3300.JPG

The shop owner told me it's impossible to clean that watch up ?? is this really true ?

5. Mothra Nov 28, 2015

A new crystal and a gentle scrub with a moist old toothbrush would do wonders in terms or the look of the watch. If you plan to wear it you should get it serviced. I'll give your watchmaker the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant you can't really clean the dial but it's possible he just doesn't have the skills to work on proper(non battery) watches....

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 28, 2015

No, this is completely false.
    I strongly recommend that you get the watch serviced by a good watchmaker before internal damage is done by wearing it.
    As for cleaning it up, take a piece of tissue paper and dab a pinch of toothpaste on it, you only need a pinch. Then rub the toothpaste tissue paper onto the watch glass (crystal), after rubbing for a few minutes clean off with another dry tissue (do not use water at any time). You will find the crystal has cleaned up a bit and already looks better. You can buy a product called poly watch instead of using toothpaste, it will do the job much better.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 28, 2015

Use a Q-tip cotton swab.

image.jpeg

It is lint free and you can exert even pressure with it. The object of either toothpaste or Polywatch is to generate enough friction to begin to slightly melt the crystal. That will fill in the smaller scratches with fresh plastic.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. PatrickJ Nov 28, 2015

Try some polywatch on the crystal. Search on U Tube for a demonstration