Forums Latest Members
  1. davideansa Dec 8, 2017

HI all,

I recently purchased a vintage Omega from chrono24.
    The watch is in incredible conditions and everything looks great to me.
    Small (or big?) issue:

the glass actually moves and with the fingertip I can rotate in several times!
    The watch is absolutely not water resistant also because the previous owner said it's circa from 1965/70 and he can't guarantee it anymore.

Questions:

1) everything in the watch looks good to you? (I'm a newbie and I could really use some expert eye)
    2) have you ever seen glasses that spin around? Is this a big issue?

Attached you'll find few pictures

thank you all!

(I hope everything in this message is compliant with the forum rules)

Trusted-Checkout-54662.jpg Trusted-Checkout-546625.jpg
  2. Canuck Dec 8, 2017

Yes. I have seen loose crystals before. Should that be? A genuine Omega crystal with the internal reflector ring, properly fitted, will never (or should’t ever) loosen. ! So yes! A big deal. Could leak, could fall out. A tight crystal does not guarantee water resistance. So wear it in water at your peril. Every water resistant watch is water resistant, until it leaks.

davideansa likes this.
  3. davideansa Dec 8, 2017

Hi Canuck and thank for your answer!

based on your experience, knowing that the watch is quite old, would be reasonable to try to fix it and or to complain with the previous owner about this issue?
    Or perhaps even if the crystal is loose I can live with it without being too worried? (Anyway I won't ever wear it in water but just wear it normally)

thank you again :)

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 8, 2017

Hi David,
    If you are walking outside and the crystal falls off without you noticing then the hands and dial could easily become badly damaged.
    How was the watch described in the ad? If it was described as fully serviced and ready to wear then you have the right to return it. I would guess that a watchmaker can replace the crystal and easily enough assuming it is only this that needs work.

davideansa likes this.
  5. Canuck Dec 8, 2017

You don’t need to immerse a watch with a loose crystal (or poor fitting crown, or no gasket) in water, for water to enter the watch. Cool the watch suddenly from body temperature in the presence of high humidity, and the entrapped air in the case contracts, and sucks the humidity into the case where it condenses. You will have to decide what to do. If you aspire to begin a watch collection, wear this one and ruin it, and you could be soured on collecting. You really should plan on thoroughly servicing any watch you collect, and you should have taken this into account when you bought this one. If it was misrepresented, and you paid too much, return it. If you like the watch and the price, and you’ll like it once competently and thoroughly serviced, keep it and enjoy it.

davideansa likes this.
  6. Temprus Dec 8, 2017

The only thing that would bother me in this watch - is that the dial is badly repainted. the hands, hour and minute, are different.
    don't worry about water resistance. This is not a water resistant watch. Rotating glass - it is not a big issue, any watchmaker can replace it.

davideansa and jumpingsecond like this.
  7. jumpingsecond Dec 8, 2017

There's some spotting on the ratchet wheel as well that doesnt look good. Could be rust but hard to tell with pics. Overall if its a redial, the crystal is loose, and the movement is showing damage I would seek a return if it were me. But like Canuck said if you like it and the price just fix the glass and you have a new watch to show off at your holiday parties this yr.

davideansa likes this.
  8. davideansa Dec 9, 2017

Thank you all for the answers!

here couple of things that might help:

1)this is the first watch I bought and was IMHO quite cheap: 430 euro (506 usd) with the box, original buckle and replace bracelet.
    2)I really like the watch and as the "first one" I think would be nice to keep it

Here 2 additional pictures (sorry, old Iphone quality) that might help.

On the ad was clearly stated "serviced 2017" and "original dial"

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-09 at 09.34.42.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-12-09 at 09.34.43.jpeg
  9. 1jansen Dec 9, 2017

Hi David,
    After all the honest comments of OF members, you can still make your own choice to believe the seller. It's your money and spend it happily.
    As you said it's not big money, 430 Euros. As long as the watch keeps time, you should feel good to wear the vintage watch. But, before doing that just remember to get the crystal fixed by a watchmaker.
    Enjoy the vintage Omega!!

jumpingsecond likes this.
  10. jumpingsecond Dec 9, 2017

The seller lied and you overpaid. It happens all the time. Chrono24 has a 14 day return policy. If you can- return it, hang out on these forums, learn a bit from the members, and get a real original dial watch in much better shape.

Or keep it so you it reminds you of what not to do the next time around!

McKinley likes this.
  11. Davidt Dec 9, 2017

The crystal should not move and while it may not be "big money", it certainly is too much for that watch, with crystal issues and a redial. I would return.

12. davideansa Dec 9, 2017

Hi All!

thank you for all the answers :)
    I'm honestly a newbie on the collecting watches topic and I understand there is a looooooot to learn!

A shop here in Italy asked me for 10 euro to fix the crystal, and I'll definitely do it!
    Probably the price wasn't the best, as per the seller, but I really like the watch and I'm going to keep it :)

Thank you all for the great suggestions! In the future I'll watch more carefully and I'll ask you guys first!

All the best!

shaun hk likes this.
  13. numero27 Dec 11, 2017

Hello !
    It's a good choice to change the glass
    you don't return this kind of watch for a glass that turns, it cost you more money to send it !
    it's a nice watch, movement and case look clean, it's probably a redial but if you like it, keep it like that. obviously it's a jumbo 38 mm case so even with a redial i don't think you really overpaid it. BTW, this watch is not and never been waterproof , stay away from the rain and be careful when you wash your hands ! Enjoy !