Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage OMEGA Genève (~1957)!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 20, 2021

It's time to pass another one of my early Genève into the hands of another collector. I could say that you never actually own an early Genève, you merely look after it for the next generation, but then I'd also have to call it a Calatrava! :D

Seriously, though, these were perhaps the quintessential Omega dress watches from the 1950s. As many collectors know, these were at the top of the manual-wind range, with the sole exception of low production Rg chronometres.

The cases and dials were "Deluxe" executions (note the attractive, subtle chamfers on the lugs), including lovely gold markers which reflect light differently than steel, and do not oxidize like steel. They are powered by the typically excellent 30mm movements, in this case a cal. 267.

[​IMG]

This example dates to 1957, and is a ref. 2903. I believe it to be original with the exception of the crystal. I like to be conservative in my assessments when selling, and would characterize the dial, hands and case as being in very good condition overall. There are no major flaws, and it is a fine, original example. It is a very attractive watch on the wrist, and to the naked eye, but the two-tone dial does show a few small spots of oxidation on the outer ring, as can be seen in the photos, and the hands also show typical signs of evenly spread oxidation. The small lume plots above the 1,2,4,5,7,8,10,11 indexes, and the lume in the narrow slots on the hands, are intact. By design, there was no lume used above the 3,6,9,12 indexes.

The 34mm case is unpolished, and retains the integrity of the the classic Genève chamfered lugs. There are a few light scratches here and there, but note that the cluster of fine scratches on the case back is extremely light. You cannot feel them, and they are only obvious in certain light. They could easily be polished out, if desired.

The movement is clean and in excellent condition, though I do not know the last date of service, and would recommend one if the watch is to be worn regularly. Please note that as the case back is tight, I chose not to open it, but have provided an older image of the movement from the previous owner.

I have owned and worn fine vintage dress models from many manufacturers over the years, including PP and V&C, and honestly believe that these early Genève models are among the best, and most classy, irrespective of cost!

It is not easy to find original examples of these in very good or better condition. There are a few deeply inferior examples currently for sale on Chrono24 at the moment, and at asking prices not far from mine. I ask 950€ and will ship EMS express (and insured) from my home in Portugal. I would prefer a wire transfer, but will consider Paypal.

Feel free to ask any questions, and be sure to remember the old saying: First come, first served!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 20, 2021
  2. Gui13250 Apr 20, 2021

That’s a beauty! Don’t you forget the picture of the movement from the previous owner?

Tony C. and Zdzislaw like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 20, 2021

OHPF!

wristpirate and LesXL like this.
  4. wagudc Apr 20, 2021

Hot damn! Somebody scored!

::psy::::psy::::psy::

JwRosenthal and LesXL like this.
  5. gbesq Apr 20, 2021

Oh, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! ::rant:

wagudc likes this.
  6. Cuttysark Apr 21, 2021

Such a beauty ::love::::love::

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 21, 2021

Sold! Thanks to the new owner, and, as always, those responsible for this excellent forum!

jB1128, Dr No and iamvr like this.