Forums Latest Members
  1. Willen Oct 9, 2014

Hello, I just found this forum off of Google. Perhaps someone can help me decide if this is a good deal?

It is a 60s Omega Geneve Cal. 601. Looks really nice -- the seller brought down the price from 500USD to 400USD for me. I think it would look really nice on any casual outfit -- especially when I'm out playing gigs to 'show it off' a bit.
    o cal 601 2.JPG o cal 601 3.JPG o cal 601 movement.JPG omega cal601.JPG

I believe it is gold plated and the 601 is an in-house mechanical movement. The seller claims it has been recently serviced

I'm not well educated in vintage Omegas, so please tell me: am I getting good price for a good watch-- yea or nea?

Archer likes this.
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 9, 2014

Looks quite tidy. Movement is clean and the lugs still have a sharp chamfer. Dial is original. So I think in today's market you did fine at the price you paid. Even though seller claims the watch has been serviced, I would be inclined to get a good independent watchmaker to have a look at the movement to see if oil is in the right places.

Usually if the balance jewel is oiled it's a fair bet that the watch has been serviced.

Cheers

Desmond

Willen likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2014

They're pretty solid those 601s

Willen likes this.
  4. Willen Oct 9, 2014

Thanks for the replies! I am even more satisfied with my purchase now.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2014

Just 2 points I'd like to make with regards to using the balance jewel as an indicator of service...

1 - I see watches with oil in the balance jewels, where the rest is dry quite often. Keep in mind that the balance jewel has quite a lot of oil in it compared to other locations (escape wheel pivots for example), and the oil is under a cap jewel, so quite protected when compared to a typical train jewel. In my experience, the cap jewel is one of the last places to dry up.

2 - I think the sellers are realizing that people are looking at the cap jewels as you suggest, so they are oiling those to mislead people on the service.

As you say, no matter what claims the seller makes, get it looked at, and when you buy count the cost of a service into the total you are willing to pay. If the watch does not need servicing, consider it a bonus.

Cheers, Al

TNTwatch and Stewart H like this.