Forums Latest Members
  1. jwalker1 Aug 14, 2012

DSCF0027.JPG DSCF0028.JPG DSCF0029.JPG Omega-page-001.jpg Hi

I have recently been given an Omega watch by my father but could do with some information about it.

Looking at the serial number it is a 17 Jewel manual movement which I believe dates from the mid 1940s.

While I've trawled thousands of images of vintage Omega watches I'm yet to find one that looks like this especially in respect to the unusual lugs and watch strap pins (these can't be removed it seems so a sprung strap is needed). I have found a few 'teardrop' shaped lugs I haven't seen any this shape.

Also, I haven't found a similar watch face as yet so could do with some help.

Does anyone have any ideas of the model, date, etc as I'd be interested to know.

My father has had it over 25yrs I believe and it still keeps very good time and is reasonably tidy however the gold could do with a light polish.

Finally, with regards to the strap, I'd like to replace this with a decent leather one and preferably with a Omega clasp so any ideas where to look?

Hope you can help.

Jason

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2012

Don't know these too well but I'm guessing maybe one of the 30T2 watches, one of the other guys better versed in manual wind sub second pieces could probably chime in

3. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2012

Hi Jason. Welcome to Omega Forums. That's a great heirloom. The serial number dates it to 1946. I can't quite read the hallmark for the gold purity. If it says .375 it's a 9ct case and was probably made in England.

Any aftermarket strap that's the correct width will fit. Be very wary of any buckle you see on eBay - a large percentage are fakes.

4. jwalker1 Aug 14, 2012

Thanks for that. I must admit I know very little about vintage watches but this one keeps very good time and it's quite a novelty having to wind it. That said I have a bullet proof TAG for full time wear.

I'm just curious about the lugs. Does this type have a particular name? As mentioned, I've come across the tear drop type but never seen the type on my Omega?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2012

Hard to say, because its a UK made case, it wasn't actually made by Omega, but rather was made to case the movement/dial etc.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 14, 2012

Aftermarket straps are fine. You'll need one that is "open-ended" on one side and 18mm wide on the other. This means that the strap is not glued down at one set of ends and can wrap around the fixed bar attached to both lugs. A lot of military watches used this type of strap during WWII.

+1 on ulackfocus's advice on Omega buckles. 90% are fakes or reproductions. It's almost impossible to find a period correct pink gold buckle. Add in the fact that UK market buckles would have had hallmarks to match the watch...maybe I've seen one like that in ten years.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. jwalker1 Aug 14, 2012

Thanks that does help.