Forums Latest Members
  1. m84 Oct 11, 2018

Hi all,
    I recently came across what I assume is a desk clock, and thankfully saved it from going to the trash by quickly glancing at the dial for a second longer than the potential 'perpetrator' :p

I looked around online and couldn't find a similar version of this clock, but I believe it to be original. It's set on some kind of stone (marble?) with a semi circular groove at the bottom (for a pen maybe?). The whole thing measures roughly 11x15.5cm and the watch dial is about 6.5cm

The dial is printed in black and features a guilloché pattern in the center and looks better in person than in the photos. The hands appear to be blued steel. Curiously, the actual dial plate seems to be smaller than the 'case', as think theres a gap all around it.

The back only has a 7 figure serial number, but I haven't attempted to open it either.

What I would like to know is if anyone has some kind of info on this, and advice on how best to go about restoring it, if indeed original.
    In the first instance I will only ask my watchmaker to clean it and service the movement, but am wondering about the heavily oxidated metal ring around the glass in the front. Should this be cleaned/polished or better not?
    Sorry for these questions, my knowloedge is limited to wristwatches and this is the first time I see one of these.

Thanks in advance!
    Lou

Photos:

IMG_3689-1.jpg

IMG_3694-1.jpg

IMG_3690-1.jpg

IMG_3691-1.jpg

IMG_3693-1.jpg

2. mac_omega Oct 11, 2018

Lou,

I have the same clock, your´s is all right.

The dark colour of the metal ring is because this part is made of brass which oxidises over the decades and becomes dark and blunt.

In case you decide to sell it - I would be interested, just send me a private message...

regards

Erich

m84 likes this.
  3. Omega world Oct 11, 2018

Very beautiful,I will keep it as it is.

m84 likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 11, 2018

I think it would be perfect for a cigar!

Great, great clock.

watchyouwant and m84 like this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 11, 2018

:eek:

Philistine!

It's obviously meant for a conductor's baton as he rests between movements.

;)

watchyouwant, m84 and UncleBuck like this.
  6. m84 Oct 12, 2018

Thank you for the input and confirmation! Do you know what year this could be from? My guess is from the 40s. Once I see the movement I will post some pics and serial for confirmation.
    And in your opinion should the brass ring be cleaned/polished back to its shiny glory or left as is? From a collectors standpoint...

Cheers,
    Lou

7. m84 Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for the kind words and input!
    Now that you mention it, it is just the right size for a cigar! :) Definitely larger than necessary for a simple pen...

Lou

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 12, 2018

I think the original bezel would have been gilded brass. If you are doing a sympathetic restoration, you could polish the brass bezel and then apply a coat of clear lacquer. The other option would be to get the bezel and the inner glass ring electroplated in gold, but I think this would look too fresh for the whole look of the clock.

We really need to know exactly what the materials are to be sure of recommending the correct approach though.

m84 likes this.
  9. m84 Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for your input Jim!
    When I have some time I will take it to the watchmaker and have a better look at what we're dealing with here.
    Though I agree with you that electroplating might be a bit too 'fresh' for the whole look, especially since im all for things looking their age and honest. :)

Cheers,
    Lou

10. mac_omega Oct 12, 2018

I think it is brass and not gilded - at least mine is brass. So I would leave it as is, its always the best choice to keep it original

watchyouwant and m84 like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 12, 2018

:thumbsup:

If this man gives advice, take it as gospel.

Hey @mac_omega, have you got a pic of yours?

m84 likes this.
  12. mac_omega Oct 12, 2018

Sure!

Here we go:

8 Tage_front.jpg

Enjoy!

13. m84 Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for you pic @mac_omega! It sure looks like its brother! :thumbsup:

Mine, however, does not have such a fancy outer ring as yours. Just a plain one.