Forums Latest Members
  1. llvhhui Jan 21, 2018

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to vintage watches. Got a newbie question.
    I'm aware there is an official omega database where you can look up vintage watches by reference numbers.
    I've been browsing eBay and noticed that some dials on eBay don't match the pictures in the database.
    Does that mean it's a redial or is there anyway to find out any variations of a certain watched produced.
    For some that only have generic pictures in that database, how do I know if it's a redial or original?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. kreyke Jan 21, 2018

The link does not work ;)

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 21, 2018

For some references there were often many different styles offered.

The only really good way to know if it's a redial or original is experience.

llvhhui, ConElPueblo and cicindela like this.
  4. OMEGAFOREVER Jan 22, 2018

I have always found that searching by the calibre of the movement is the best way to search on the Omega Vintage Database. It usually produces a hand full of possibilities, which you can then look through in turn.

llvhhui likes this.
  5. mikechi22 Jan 22, 2018

That Omega database is very hit and miss. It’s always worth a quick look to see if things will match up there, but about 50% of the time it’s missing something...the photo, a 0 in the reference number, acknowledgement that the case comes in steel, you name it.

Next step is to just do a google image search on the case reference and see what comes up. Usually a quick scroll through will tell you what’s a canonical dial. If you’re still not sure, post a photo of the target in here and ask for advice. The guys that know their stuff will let you know right away if they spot a heretical creation!

Good luck in your search! This is a really nice forum so I hope you’ll stick around and pay forward the help you get!

llvhhui likes this.
  6. llvhhui Jan 22, 2018

Looks like I need to watch and learn for a while.
    Also looks like the sales in this forum is the way to go for a newbie like me.

mikechi22 likes this.