Forums Latest Members
  1. Alexander Stingl Jun 4, 2012

Hi

My dad gave me two of his old Omegas but I do not know much about these watches.

So I thought I would as the omega watch community to learn more about them.

Any info about these watches would be appreciated. I know they are not in the best condition, these were daily wear watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2012

Hi Alex. Welcome to Omega Forums. The first watch has some parts replaced with incorrect ones. The second watch is a Constellation 168.017 and looks to be correct except maybe for the lume dots on the dial. Wait for some of the other guys to share their opinion.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2012

I think you are dead on with your analysis. An in-person inspection by a watchmaker might be in order for the first watch to determine the proper case reference number. BTW, I think the watchband could be the original.

Watchco Australia is selling a small group of NOS Constellation casebacks on eBay at the present time. Just not sure which one would be correct for this watch.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 4, 2012

First watch appears to be a gold filled or plated top, ss back Seamaster with an incorrect dial, rather than a Constellation with an incorrect back.

A Constellation case would have gold capped lugs and gold bezel. Lug style doesn't match a Constellation either.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 4, 2012

Agreed, the Connie dial, which has been refinished, has been placed in a Seamaster (probably a cal 563) case.

Both watches deserve to be cleaned up. There could be, as Gator says, some options available to you at watchco. Ive seen a few Seamaster dials come up for sale from time to time.

Dennis, nice spot with those lume dots. I think hands were replaced and someone has done rather a good job at luming it up.

Cheers

Desmond

6. Alexander Stingl Jun 4, 2012

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for your input.

So the watch with the brown strap is actually a Constellation in a sea master casing?? What about the one with the black strap?

Sorry for the ignorance, I don't know much about watches.

7. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2012

Strike that. Reverse it. (bonus point if you can name the movie/book that line comes from without asking The Google) It's a Seamaster with a dial that's been repainted to imitate a Constellation. We can confirm this with a picture of the inside of the caseback and a picture of the movement, and probably even help you source a correct dial if available.

That's a legit Constelllation 168.017 with lume dots added and replacement hands with lume in the tips.

8. Alexander Stingl Jun 4, 2012

Willy Wonka? Ok i cheated, i used Google.

Thats so strange, why would anyone paint a sea master like that. I've been looking at parts and I reckon that would cost a fair bit to restore, any idea on the ball park?

Constelllation 168.017, I guess I'll start cleaning that one up! Although sadly it has a crack in the glass near the crown.

9. Alexander Stingl Jun 5, 2012

I've cleaned them up as best I can. I reckon they look quite good considering. Was wearing the constellation black today, was nice but too small for my wrists. Guess its off to eBay for them.
    Any idea what they are worth? Both are mechanically sound and running perfectly, they have been serviced relatively recently (according to my Dad).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2012

The 168.017 should sell for between $450 - $700 depending on how bad somebody wants it. Doubt the other would pull anywhere near that unless a n00b or two bid it up.