Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Constellation servicing in Australia/elsewhere - your experiences sought

1. apropos Feb 23, 2012

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a 1966 cal.564 "Pie Pan" Constellation, but given its age I would like to have it sent off for a complete disassembly/clean and perhaps a very sensitive case repolish.

I've done a search here, and while several names have come up, I'd like to do this properly and so am seeking advice from members who have actually used the watchmaker they are recommending.

While of course being Australia-based I would prefer someone in Australia, I'm happy to hear any recommendations anyone else may have for watchmakers located anywhere.

In particular, I'm looking for someone who is skilled at polishing, as this is a faceted 'dog leg' style case, and so has lots of fine detail (and edges) that I am keen to preserve.

Bienne is not an option as they are known to substitute "closest available" parts for older vintage Connies and I'd like to do this the right way.

Thanks all!

2. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2012

The first thing we need is a picture of the watch in question. I just happen to have a '66 caliber 564 168.005 dog leg lug Connie myself so I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I use Jesse (omega564) all the time and he's fantastic. Here's a link to some pics of the Longines Admiral he did for me:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/54624.htm

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2012

Might be worth considering USA, the AUD makes them much cheaper ATM. I'm in Australia and having Jesse do my Cal 320 chronograph atm.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 23, 2012

I don't think it's the AUD. The ones here just uncompetitive (as with most things). The work I had done at Brisbane Vintage Watches was way overpriced and slow/disorganised/etc. Pretty poor customer service. Despite the inconvenience of shipping to the US and back, it's still looking like a better option.

5. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2012

Yes, and I'll get to wear it when I visit Jesse. ::bleh:: I'll call it "quality control testing".

6. apropos Feb 24, 2012

Thanks guys for the reply.

Here are a few shots. Taken in bright sunlight so it kinda highlights the grime and fine scratches. The case is pretty sharp which is why I am eager to keep it that way.

The crystal is really marred making it difficult to tell the condition of the dial underneath. As far as I can tell it looks nearly flawless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2012

Nice! Pity about that gouge on the edge of the case back. Somebody wasn't too careful with the case opener. :eek:

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2012

Ya, I did that to my Seamaster gold-cap caseback too, except I slipped even further and butchered my own hand. All the more reason to let Jesse take the tetanus shot instead next time.

9. pz93c Feb 25, 2012

Well, I have heard great things about Michael Presser at Precision Timing. That's why he has my Connie now.

But, it's not back yet. So I can't give that personal recommendation you're looking for.