Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Constellation identification and help

1. lxd3500 Oct 4, 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum having just acquired my first Vintage Omega! I was gifted this watch, a new family heirloom, from my grandfather on my wedding day. It is of great personal value to me and I want to ensure I take the appropriate measures to maintain it for my future children etc. All my grandfather could tell me is that its a 1970's Omega Constellation.... After doing hours of sleuthing on the internet I found a few examples that were similar to this one but not exact. Most say "Automatic" under "Constellation" on the face of the watch but mine does not. Also the font of "constellation" looks to be a bit different. I would love any and all information someone may possess. Im located in the San Francisco Bay Area and would also like to find a recommended watch appraiser so I can get an insurance policy.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help!

IMG_9228.JPG IMG_9229.JPG IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9231.JPG IMG_9232.JPG

ahartfie and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 4, 2016

Unfortunately it has been 'redialed'. If it is an automatic, it is possible that line of text was not added back when the dial markings were redrawn. It would likely help the experts here if you could provide photos of the inner side of the caseback (which usually has the reference number) and of the movement (which will have a movement number visible).

The markings on the clasp indicate the band is solid gold.

This has been edited: (a look at A journey Through Time shows an integral bracelet Constellation that is very similar from 1969. AJTT indicates that watch is a model 9002, with a cal 1001. 18 ct gold cases and bracelets, plus brushed solid gold dial and gold markers that are painted black). I'll bet this was quite the watch in 1969!

Edited Oct 4, 2016
  3. lxd3500 Oct 4, 2016

Thanks so much for the feedback. Such a shame if it was redialed (and incorrectly it seems). I have a decent amount of watch specific tools Ive used on antique pocket watches, do you think removing the back case is something I should attempt or should I take it to an expert? Like I said, this watch has an incredible amount of personal value to me, so I'd rather continue not knowing exactly what it is than potentially damage it.

Edit: Closest I've found http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASSIVELY-H...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Now, the hands werent moving until I rotated the crown (gently) which gives me pause since it seems manual instead of automatic.. However I havent been able to find any other examples on the internet.

Edited Oct 4, 2016
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

Whether you try to open it yourself or not really depends on your comfort level. Solid gold cases can be damaged pretty easily since the gold is so soft.

Once the watch started working could you have any sounds when moving it that might indicate it is an automatic vs a manual? The info on this shape of watch is pretty limited in AJTT, so it is possible there were manual and automatic versions.

In any case, it is probably best not to run the watch much until it can be opened up and examined. Running it if it is in need of a service could result in accelerated wear of some movement parts.