Forums Latest Members
  1. anastase Mar 6, 2017

Hello friends of the Omega Forum. I am considering getting an Omega Constellation (from the 60's, I think) gold with gold bracelet. The clock is from a customer who wants to pay me with it. I have some questions: 1) Does it seem to be original? 2) What year? 3) movement? 4) Can I take a watchmaker to open and verify information inside or should I take you to the technical assistance of the omega? IMG_4836.JPG IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4838.JPG IMG_4839.JPG IMG_4840.JPG

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2017

3. waterproofpt Mar 6, 2017

You'll need to have it opened to verify case number, movement caliber and serial number of the movement.

anastase likes this.
  4. koekoek Mar 6, 2017

It does look okay to me and the crown looks original too. The crystal will need a polish tho. I would more than gladly take watch like as payment.

anastase likes this.
  5. WatchmakerTheory Mar 6, 2017

+1.

However, the watch does appear to be original. The dial looks nice but the case is pretty badly worn. I'd reckon a large portion of the value here is the watch's gold content, which may be very significant. You're probably looking at a few thousand dollars, but we'll need more information to confirm.

anastase likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2017

What do you see that's badly worn? The lugs are sharp and the stars and observatory are about as sharp as it gets.

7. WatchmakerTheory Mar 6, 2017

Case back looks good. Maybe it's just the angle in the first picture, but looks worn to me. Would like some pictures from the side.

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2017

I definitely see scratches.

9. wsfarrell Mar 6, 2017

Agree. The original facets (chamfers?) on the lugs have pretty much been polished away.

anastase likes this.
  10. Kja Mar 6, 2017

Out just looks like out was actually worn, not just looked at.. It is sixty years old give or take.. It happens..really nice watch though, I would be ecstatic to wear that! Even the bracelet looks really nice!

anastase likes this.
  11. anastase Mar 6, 2017

Thanks efauser

efauser likes this.
  12. anastase Mar 6, 2017

efauser likes this.
  13. anastase Mar 6, 2017

Thanks for helping me. Do you think that an ordinary watchmaker could open the watch without damaging anything, so I can get this information or should I send the watch to an Omega service center?

14. waterproofpt Mar 6, 2017

Any qualified watchmaker should be able to do it safely.

anastase likes this.
  15. anastase Mar 6, 2017

Thank you for helping me. I'll try to get more information as soon as we open the clock and get some better photos for you.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 6, 2017

Hello and welcome aboard
    Gold watches are notoriously difficult to photograph to show facets
    Slightly tired dial but looks correct
    Lugs have lost definition on upper edges
    Bezel looks good
    Non Omega bracelet (which affects value- gold weight plus decoration value)
    Can you see what the mark is inside the hallmark on the rear of the lugs? This will guide you to gold content -which also affects value

A nice watch but not collector grade
    Peculiarly gold Connie prices have remained stable recently where SS ones have risen steadily
    How much are you owed - Will determine if it's a good deal
    Certainly not several thousands ( depending on you definition of several)

Probably early to mid 60s 168.005
    As above, only details from inside will correctly identify the info you seek
    Yes a watchmaker can open it - but carefully as gold cases watches are easily scratched

Hope that helps

ConElPueblo and anastase like this.
  17. anastase Mar 6, 2017

I'm happy to be part of this forum of the highest level. Thank you for helping me illuminate my absolute ignorance in vintage omega watches. The clock is working and according to the owner was never taken to service and most of the time spent years stored in a safe, even though it was used. It has no box or documents, but was bought by the owner's father in the 1960s.

18. ConElPueblo Mar 7, 2017

If you want to open it...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]