Forums Latest Members
  1. rageshgr Jun 6, 2017

Dear All,

I am Ragesh, from India. I am a fan of watches and its movements.
    I am a fan of Omega watches but never had enough Moolah to land a new one.
    Currently owning a Tissot LeLocle.

So I wanted a piece of this history and wanted to buy a Vintage Omega

The below 1970's Omega Cal. 601 looks promising.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/vintage-omega-geneve-cal-601-70s-4345506.html
    It goes for 260$

Can you please helpe me if it is a good watch/condition and good price.

P1340937 (2).JPG P1340947 (1).JPG

Edited Jun 8, 2017
  2. Davidt Jun 6, 2017

That's got a refinished dial and has been heavily polished.

Btw it helps if you post an actual picture rather than just a link. It stop members having to flit between different websites to see the watch.

Willem023 likes this.
  3. rageshgr Jun 6, 2017

Thanks David. So is it not a worthy buy for 260 dollars?

Sure next time I shall ensure I embed the pics in the thread itself. Done

Edited Jun 8, 2017
  4. j.allen Jun 6, 2017

I've seen really attractive 600's, one of my favorites. This in my opinion is not attractive. But for 260 I don't know that it's a bad buy if you like it. I spent 400 and 600 on mine, and the 400 dollar one had a little dial damage. I'm not the best at evaluating value. There are others who know the market better.

rageshgr likes this.
  5. rageshgr Jun 6, 2017

Thanks Allen. Any idea why it is not so attractive? Is it due to the extra polish?

6. j.allen Jun 7, 2017

Oh it doesn't mean it's ugly, it's just my opinion. Some may find it very handsome. If you are curious about my opinion I dislike the deep yellow gold, the leaf hands, and the minute markers. But you have to like it not me. The 601 may be my favorite movement, next to the 30T2 SC, well maybe actually more. Just look around and see what's out there.

7. j.allen Jun 7, 2017

Here are a few examples. I am a poor photographer. The one on the left has a larger case by about 1.5 to 2mm.
    IMG_0513[1].JPG

rageshgr likes this.
  8. rageshgr Jun 8, 2017

Thanks Alan. Yes your watch is beautiful. I also see that mine are having black hands and markers while your have gold markers.
    But could all this difference be due to the fact that mine is an Omega Geneve and yours is an Omega Semaster?

Unfortunately Seamasters are much costlier. Around 500. This Geneve is only 260 hence I was tempted.

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 8, 2017

I'm by no means an expert, but two things stand out to me.

Firstly the hour markers and the black lines on them. Some of them look like someone with a Sharpie and a slightly unsteady hand "retouched" them. Secondly, I am always suspicious when I see lume plots at the hour markers, but no lume on the hands. Logically, from the point of view of practicality, this makes no sense.

260$ is not a large amount for a decent vintage watch, but you must ask yourself if even at that price, and knowing the suspicions I and others have, would you be happy to have it on your wrist? For a little more, you may be able to find something considerably better.

10. rageshgr Jun 8, 2017

Sure. Thanks a lot. Considering all these replies, I shall hunt for better ones