Forums Latest Members
  1. audaxpt Feb 23, 2015

Hello all,

this is my first post here, though I had already read the forum when searching for something more specific or just for the pleasure of reading and learning about Omega.

Now I actually have an Omega on my collection, so I decided to register here and join!!

So a friend, knowing I have a passion for watches and a small collection, gave me he´s late father in law´s Omega.

It is a cal. 266, from I believe 1952-3, with a nice "spider lugs" case.

Now the important stuff... the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It´s in a good state for the age, the rystal needs a good polish and a case screw looks to be missing. But all seems original to me. Though on the OMega vintage search I do not find this specific case-dial combo, just another one where case is the same and hands but dial different, reference 2605.

Out of curiosity, of this era of the 1950, isn´t it a bit less frequent a black dial?

Do You have any other info about it or did I get anything wrong?

Thank You!!!

Dr No likes this.
  2. ketiljo Feb 23, 2015

It's a bit unusual that it doesn't have minute markers, redial maybe?

3. audaxpt Feb 23, 2015

I thought that also at first, but it has the minute markers, just a bit faded and also the crystal sometimes doesn't let is be seen. If it is a redial it is a very good one and old one also. I will try and see if i can take a picture so that we can see the minute markers.

On a side note, for the first 24 hours it just lost 4 seconds, a -4s/d it is not bad, lets see how it continues!

4. audaxpt Feb 26, 2015

So i found out that the crystal and the bezel comes off :(. That enebled me to take some closer pictures of the dial, but now i really can't use the watch at all until it goes to my watchmaker-

So the pics:

[​IMG]

Next 2 picstures is visible the minute and hour markers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the ring and crystal:

[​IMG]

So what you guys think about it?

5. Dr No Feb 26, 2015

First, I think it's original save the crown, and second, you really owe your friend a bottle of Lagavulin 25.

:)

6. audaxpt Feb 27, 2015

Thank you Dr No! SO the crown should be different? At least it is an Omega crown :) Or is it the original one too much different?

Indeed a bottle of Lagavulin 25 is a good sugestion !! :)

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

Crown may be original. Here is one of mine with all original parts:

[​IMG]

8. audaxpt Feb 27, 2015

Thank you MSNWatch, the crown on mine looks very similar to yours, so yes I can imagine it may well be original.

And gorgeous watch, congratulations!!! :) In very good condition!!

One question, I had noticed but at first thought it would be some damage, but I see it on your's too: on the top left lug there is a little mark? What is it?

One other question, on my dial it doesn't say Swiss made under 6 o'clock, is it normal also for that era?

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

The mark in the lug is an import/customs mark affixed by some countries like portugal. Yes swiss made (or swiss) is seen during this era but there are exceptions.

10. audaxpt Feb 27, 2015

I see, interesting, didn't know they would put the mark into the lugs. Thank you so much for the information!

When I get it back from the watchmaker I'll certainly take new pictures to post.

11. Dr No Feb 27, 2015

The crown appears more aged than the case, which leads me to believe it's a replacement, albeit an acceptable one. In any event, it's a desirable watch, and that's putting it mildly.

Cordially,

Art

12. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

I can see the letter E just right before the 29th minute mark on your dial. I believe by the time your watch was made, there were very few exceptions to Swiss Made/Swiss on Omegas and yours was not.

Edited Mar 1, 2015
  13. audaxpt Mar 1, 2015

Thank you Art!!

Very good eye TNTwatch! Indeed i went to check the pictures and can also see the E and almost make out the rest of Swiss Made, though it is quite faded.

Thank you all for your input and knowledge, I am learning alot about my watch and Omega!! :)

felsby likes this.
  14. audaxpt Jun 28, 2015

So the time as come for my watchmaker to work on this watch! I already sent it in and already have a little problem...

The bezel, that is coming out with the glass, is not belonging to this case...!!

My watchmaker will have a look if he can manage to find one, but hopes are low.

Do you Gentlemen know where could we find a bezel that is from this case?

If we cannot find it then only option is to have one made out of brass and have it chromed...

Thank you in advance for your help!

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2015

It is extremely rare to find bezels as spare parts. You might have more luck looking for a non-working version of the watch with a full case.

I think you might be better off leaving the bezel as is. While not original, the fit is close. Highly unlikely someone else could do better. And it will be very expensive.

I'm not a big lover of chromed watch parts. They will look OK for a while, but if any moisture gets underneath the plating, that plating will start peeling off the brass.
    gatorcpa

16. audaxpt Jun 28, 2015

Yes I thought so, to find just the bezel would be close to impossible!!
    I will discuss that possibility with him, of just leaving the bezel as is.

Yes chromed brass always have that imminent problem if moisture gets underneath...

I will keep updating and then show here the final result.

Thank you for the help gatorcpa!!!

17. mac_omega Jun 30, 2015

Why don´t you have it manufactured in SS instead of chromed brass? This should not be so hard to do...

18. audaxpt Oct 9, 2015

So already have it back, new bezel , new glass (the guys that did the bezel, also decided to polish the watch, although my watchmaker did not say anything to them to do it, but fortunately they didn´t over polished and it looks good!) all in all, a very nice watch that i really enjoy to wear!!

Omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg OMega 3.jpg

felsby, JimInOz, Peemacgee and 2 others like this.