Forums Latest Members
  1. jarauz89 Jan 14, 2016

Hey guys,

So I'm new to this forum. I want to buy my first Omega and I happen to find this 1940s Omega Bumper. I know it's a 28.10 RA movement, I don't know what caliber it is (don't know how to figure that out). It is in great condition, but it's missing a few pieces. The store owner said that he has the pieces and will install them right away, he just hasn't had the time to do it. The inside of the case back says Hadsworth, I don't know if that means anything. Anyways I'm just hoping someone could give me a little insight on what this watch is all about and if it's a good find. Also what do you think I should offer? Any info on this timepiece would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2016

Caliber and movement number are synonymous. I'm not sure that it's a 28.10 RA, I think, the 28.10 RA has exposed bumper springs. I think the caliber number is under the thumb in your photo, I'll let the more knowledgeable members comment on that.

I think you mean reference number, which refers to the case type and is basically the model number. Yours has a Wadsworth case that was made in the US, to house the imported Omega movement; a common practice then.

Edited Jan 14, 2016
  3. Geo! Jan 14, 2016

I have exactly the same watch (including the dial) and it's one of my favourites. These are excellent timekeepers when serviced and adjusted correctly, definitely well worth getting!

4. jarauz89 Jan 14, 2016

What would be a good offer? How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking. Also any more info you can give me on the watch?

5. Tritium Jan 14, 2016

Cal. 28.10 RA has exposed springs as noted before and is the base caliber for later movements like cal. 340 to 341 or 350 to 355. Take a look here: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_28_10RA_PC&

The OP movement looks US imported, as it has the OXG and UNADJUSTED inscriptions and it makes sense and coherence with the US made case. What I'm not sure from the picture is if the springs are exposed or not. If they're not, I think it's not a 28.10 RA but a later one.

6. jarauz89 Jan 14, 2016

Ya he said the 2 springs are missing as well as 2 screws which he has. He showed me how it's supposed to look and it appears to be the same as the link above. Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 14, 2016

That explains the 2 holes, then. I would have him put the watch together and then take another photo, for approval.

8. jarauz89 Jan 14, 2016

Awesome! Will do. I'll keep you guys posted.

9. DON Jan 14, 2016

Bumper springs should look like this (not including the center screw) Also needs the regulator arm on the balance bridge

[​IMG]

10. jarauz89 Jan 14, 2016

Thanks! Those were the exact pieces he showed me. I'm just waiting for it to be installed and I'll show you guys!

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2016

The movement is missing the regulator. That's the part with a tail that goes between "A" and "R".

image.jpeg

That means fast (arrez) and slow (retard). The store owner needs to replace that piece or the time can't be adjusted.

I wonder what else is missing that I can't see.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

12. jarauz89 Jan 15, 2016

Yes thanks. That piece will also be provided. I'll take a pic once it's all done