Forums Latest Members
  1. stanik Jun 8, 2018

Hello,
    I came across this interesting Omega 30T2
    price seems to be good, watch was recently serviced, the dial seems to be in a good original condition,
    I love the blued hands
    the only problem is the crown which is not original,
    My question is:
    Is it possible to source a matching crown to this model quite easily?
    maybe there is someone among You that has such a crown, or could give some references (dimensions, etc)
    because from what I saw, for a 30T2 there are different sizes
    thanks

30T2.jpg
    alex10, Seaborg and TexOmega like this.
  2. momosono Jun 8, 2018

What do you think would be an original crown?
    A wristshot is not really helpful to appraise a watch. The actual crown looks like a "waterproof" one. Is/was the watch waterproof?
    The text on the dial "Fab. Suisse" shows that this is very probably a french made case. Possibly gold. I rather doubt that the watch is/was waterproof. But only a pic of the back can tell.

I have seen earlier Omegas (which yours seems to be) with flat crowns but also with domed ones.
    I am also under the impression that older Omegas (lets say up to ±1945) come with crowns that do NOT have the Omega logo.

Make some more pics, with the watch flat on a neutral background, front and back and if you can find someone who is able to open and close it without causing damage you can add pics of the movement and the inside of the caseback. (The only hands I want to see in the picture of a watch are those of the watch itself)
    And then you'll get loads of better answers than mine.

stanik likes this.
  3. stanik Jun 8, 2018

thanks for a reply(the watch is located in France, so french made case seems very probable ;) )

It's not mine yet(neither the picture nor the watch), just considering buying it,
    I will ask the buyer to give me some more pics
    the buyer said the crown isn't original,
    I wrote I would be searching for a matching crown(dimensions, with/without the logo etc.) in case of buying it,
    and was rather asking if it is possible to:
    -establish what the matching crown should be(having all pictures possible, serial and movement numbers etc.)
    -quite easily source one( without waiting for a few months etc.)

4. momosono Jun 8, 2018

As soon as its clear what reference exactly you're getting, someone here will come up with the information you need.
    After that finding the correct part is just a question of some patience and pockets that are deep enough. ;)

5. mac_omega Jun 8, 2018

Crowns for Omegas from this era are without any logo

you can use unbranded crowns with a diameter of 5.5 - 6 mm 1,2 mm thread size

Chose the diameter matching the diameter and/or thickness of the case...

you can find them on the www with some patience - but the biggest difficulty is to find one with matching gold colour - the watch in the photo seems to be gold - right?

jumpingsecond and stanik like this.
  6. stanik Jun 8, 2018

thank You very much for your responses:)

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 8, 2018

Mine.
    2018-06-08_08-47-09.jpg

jumpingsecond, stanik and TexOmega like this.
  8. stanik Jun 10, 2018

So I have some additional photos
    It seems it is from the early 40s
    I'm not sure if the caseback is original as well

20180610_014106_HDR-01.jpeg 20180610_012739_HDR-02.jpeg
  9. momosono Jun 10, 2018

Its less the caseback than the silvery goo on the lugs that bothers me.
    The caseback seems to have some sort of hallmark that I cannot readily place.
    As far as I know a French case (if gold) should have an eagles head. There should be another hallmark on or between the lugs and if - as it looks to me - this is a three part case tnan there should also be one on the bezel.
    On second thoughts: the one on the back might possibly this one for exported goods.
    upload_2018-6-10_11-16-43.png
    But whats the silvery stuff? Did some amateur try to repair the lugs? The pic isn't clear enough.
    I'd pass.

stanik likes this.
  10. stanik Jun 10, 2018

This silver stuff, it was just a light
    I have found the whole chart but that's true, that it's rather impossible to recognize the hallmark,

20180610_124839_HDR-01.jpeg f_france-page.JPG
    Edited Jun 10, 2018
  11. Seaborg Jun 11, 2018

I have found a very similar watch (CK 2099 from the early 40's). I have a signed Omega crown but I'm really not sure that it's original to the watch as, to my knowledge, signed crowns were hardly seen at this time.

IMG_2176_2.JPG

Radiumpassion and jumpingsecond like this.
  12. stanik Jun 11, 2018

I have found it on the omega database website,
    the caliber is the 30T1 (not 30T2), the crown is without the logo

the only difference is that on the picture the dial isn't "fab suisse"
    and there is no version in a gold case with this movement in their database

and also on mine(because I decided to give it a try) the are 2 hallmarks - eagles - on the case back and on one lug

image-vintage-CK-2099.jpg
  13. stanik Jul 11, 2018

hello again, if anybode has a golden unsigned crown for this model, I would be interested,
    my watchmaker has found one for me, but it is signed,

I am still searching and on one website of a provider of crowns for Omega (according to bestfit) it should be a signed crown,
    but I read here and from other sources that it should be an unsigned one,
    so if I don't succeed in finding one without a logo I will ask him to put the one he had offered me

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 11, 2018

Any currently available Omega crown is going to be signed, even if it is designed for and fits your watch.

If Bestfit has the dimensions of the original crown for this model, you could have your watchmaker order a generic crown with the same measurements.

It’s your call,
    gatorcpa

stanik likes this.
  15. jumpingsecond Jul 11, 2018

Beautiful watch regardless of crown...

stanik likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2018

Omega does have at least one unsigned crown that I know of...

17. stanik Jul 12, 2018

from the collector's point of view signed omega crown would be better I guess than a generic one?

thanks love it too, that's why it went to a doctor and I would like to restore it to its previous glory the best I can ;)

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 12, 2018

Not a big deal either way. If the generic crown looks similar to the one in picture above, it’s OK for your watch.
    gatorcpa

stanik likes this.
  19. François Pépin Oct 15, 2018

I am a bit late on this one, but this watch is possibly a Franken.

The dial is genuine and were designed for the French market. The case is French made - I think I can see the eagle head and the maker's mark. But an Omega gold French case should have the Omega logo. Usually they also have a case number. Moreover this movement has the "M" mark, which indicates it was designed for a metal (not gold) case. And as noticed above, the silver marks on the lugs are odd - could be reflection though.

There could be an explanation for these strange features. But it looks fishy.