Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega 300's value thoughts beyond Rolex matt 5513's?

1. milwatch126 Aug 31, 2016

The prices of vintage Omega 300's seem to be climbing each month higher and higher? Is it a good thing or will these watches become beyond the means of many vintage Omega collectors, like Ed White Speedy's?
    Could this also mean that one day they might even become equal to, or even surpass the value of the mammoth Rolex 5513.
    Likely?
    When you consider the numbers of vintage Omega Seamaster 300's available compared to Rolex 5513's these watches are becoming rare today. In the sense of rare and not in the sense of vintage watch "rare" as every vintage watch seems to fall under that umbrella today. Are they being bought up and added to collections or are they being seen as future investments, who knows but they are disappearing (good ones)!
    Take the non-date version Seamaster 300, I recently did a few searches for these watches on the internet and found the pool to be very very small (I found one, one on this forum). Compare that with a similar search for a matt dial Rolex 5513 and you will see the comparison immediately. There are quite a few more Rolex 5513's available. So, is this value proposition a real prospect?

M

Edited Aug 31, 2016
  2. Clibka Aug 31, 2016

So my brother in law is one of the United States most successful vintage Rolex dealers and funny you mention it we were just talking about this yesterday as my interest lies mostly in omega. He feels that Rolex has most likely reached top dollar with a fairly recent meteoric rise in prices. He further suggested that relative to Rolex, omega has a lot of growth potential. Does that mean that in your specific example: 300's > 5513's only time will tell, but it will sure be interesting to see what brand value omega has yet to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milwatch126 likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 31, 2016

The potential for the SM300s is with the earlier ones - particularly the 2913s because the bezel was very fragile. The number of 2913s with an intact original bezel in otherwise good shape is scarce. That's where the potential for a huge increase in value lies. The same could be said of the 14755 and 165.014 models - it's all about having a nice original bezel.

4. milwatch126 Aug 31, 2016

165.014 = 5508
    2914 = 5510?

5. ATWG Aug 31, 2016

The question is all about what appeals to the masses and market reach. Let's face it, vintage Rolex at the moment is enjoying unbelievable price appreciation. Whether it's the 5512, 5513, 1680 or the GMT's for that matter. They appeal to broad population with a wide range of models worldwide which is what is driving the price appreciation. First it was the Chinese driving higher prices as their economy modernized, now demand has shifted domestically as the rest of the world remains stagnant. What I have observed is that, while Rolex enjoys this broad audience, Omega falls a bit short which is why, in my opinion, it won't reach the same price levels as Rolex. Just look at the Rolex forum and see how many followers and major dealers exist in Dubai and Hong Kong with mind blowing inventory.

For the record, I'd take a nice meters first or maxi dial 5513 over Omega 300 any day....again, personal choice.

6. Fost Aug 31, 2016

Take both!!
    image.jpeg
    And just add some other for fun...;)

watchknut, ahartfie, gemini4 and 5 others like this.
  7. Kja Aug 31, 2016

Omega is doing a phenomenal job of promoting their brand as an upclass equivalant to rolex, I really didn't think it would work.. But people are starting to reconize omega like rolex. When the omega speedmaster is the second most searched phrase on ebay, they are doing something right..
    I think in time vintage omega will be seen as softer and more beautiful, while not as durable, and prices will rise to just under rolex prices. The tool watches in paticular are so much more rare I think they might be more valued than rolex, but omega has many, many, more types of "tool watches" than rolex too, so only specific ones. Now if the parts situation deteriorated than no I don't think so.. people want a watch they can wear and enjoy, collectors want what normal people want, just a "better" version of it.
    I do believe over all vintage omega will be seen as an equivalent to rolex though on the whole and most of the vintage omega are a great investment, that's why they are being snapped up so fast now. That's just my opinion though.

8. Maybe Sep 1, 2016

Where can you find a decent SM300 nowadays? 5513 beware, though the answer might be in hands of Hodinkee.

9. Fost Sep 1, 2016

Mine will be for sale In a couple of month :(

10. Rman Sep 1, 2016

11. Maybe Sep 1, 2016

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 1, 2016

Never follow prices so hadn't appreciated the 5513's were doing well, must let her ladyship know I may have done something correct for once :)

Northernman and Maybe like this.
  13. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2016

I will add this in here..

A couple of 300 guys on here were unsure of this actual 300. The reason being something to do with the dial and hands. There is a possibility they were replaced in service in the 60s as the original owner was a diver so its plausible..

205685-cf9bcd5a08a12b705ca7380e4d5b6ce8.jpg