Forums Latest Members
  1. Eclipse Sep 27, 2015

Can anyone please help me to identify this Omega?
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 27, 2015

Looks like a manual winding omega powered by a 283 with a refinished dial.

3. Eclipse Sep 27, 2015

Thanks! It is manual winding, but is the dial realy refinished? There's no Omega sign on the crown, I wonder if it should be there if it's original as seler claims...

4. devnull Sep 27, 2015

Nobody can tell if it looks right without knowing what it is supposed to look like. A picture of the watch guts and the inside of the case back will tell what's what. Heck once you get that you can google-image the reference number, and use the serial number to figure out the year. At that point if you ask a question people will be more than happy to jump in. Right now if you had posted the reference number I would rather be looking it up out of idle curiosity than typing this.

5. Eclipse Sep 27, 2015

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I do not have any other pic than this one, watch should be from the 50's and I would like to know if it is original since my friend intend to by it as such. I could not find one like this on Internet, so I thought it might be rare enough to be recognized here on forum. Even an info about the dial will help since I have never seen one like this... However, I'll try yo get more info, and if this all was just confusing I apologize...

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 27, 2015

Try to search for Ref 2792 which I think looks very much the same.
    My advice is not to buy it because the bad refinished dial.

7. devnull Sep 28, 2015

Tell your friend to never buy a vintage watch without a look at the important bits. With Omega it is pretty straightforward: From the mechanism you want to get the serial number and the mechanism model number, from the back of the case back the reference number (the actual watch model number). With that you can tell what it is supposed to be (reference number), what year it is (serial number database) and whether it is original or mismatched; that the case matches the movement and what it claims to be on the dial, for that particular year.

After you do all of that you then post it here for a sanity check.

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. mac_omega Sep 28, 2015

Sorry to disagree, Ref. 2792 looks different, has not such heavily down turned lugs, more straight...

hoipolloi likes this.
  9. hugo Sep 28, 2015

redial and logo seem to be strange

10. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

Thank you guys for the help, and I'm just trying to help my friend until it's too late... So here is the whole pic: there was a hard decision which one she is going to buy, Omega or Longines (Dolce Vita 14kt rose/yellow gold, probably early 40's)... She preferred "simple & clean" Omega but maybe it was not such a good choice considering the price was almost the same (but not cheap) and Longines seems to be rare and in original condition?

[​IMG]

11. mac_omega Sep 28, 2015

Can you try to make a good clear picture of the inner side of the case back and the movement?
    I might be able to shed some more light on the watch then...

Eclipse likes this.
  12. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

I wish I can, but that is all I have now; unfortunately it is probably not enough to eventually stop the purchase if it's not a good deal... Seems that the watch is unusual (I've seen many Omegas but never one like this) and I'll post more pictures when it comes - at least for the reference, even for my friend it could be too late if it's not original as she believes... Can you please tell me at least is it possible that the dial is original, or it's refinished for sure? It's looks nice in rose gold IMO, but I'm concerned about the logo... Also, there is no Omega sign on the crown which should be also original according to the seller, as I mentioned before...

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 28, 2015

The dial has without a doubt been refinished. The Omega printing is horrible and not even close to what it should look like.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2015

The Longines looks nice. We've discussed the price on another post. I would stay away from the Omega, but also advise you to not go crazy on the Longines.

Very weak market for ladies watches at present. Most women prefer men's watches now.
    gatorcpa

15. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

Thanks for the advice. I can only pass it to the friend, and keep the knowledge for myself... :)

16. Eclipse Oct 18, 2015

Finally I got some more pics. Could anybody please help me to determine which Omega it is, and the real value of it since the dial is probably refinished? Thanks in advance!

Serial number is not visible, but it is 11 million something... so, seems it's mid to late 40's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]