Forums Latest Members

Vintage Mercury Watch - interested in ANY info

1. Ravineman Jan 29, 2016

My other brother in law asked me to show his watch to you.

I expect this watch is about 60 years old.

Any information would be great. Thanks

XXX2.jpg XXX1.jpg
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 29, 2016

What makes you think it is a Zenith? As far as I know, the only 25 jewel movements they made were the 2542 family, introduced in the mid 1960s and the Cal 10.0 which was a UG Cal. 67 from the early 1970s.

If it is from the 1950s, I would think it is more likely to be one of the other ebauces. Is it an automatic? (both of the Zeniths are, with the UG based one having a micro rotor)

Edited: Thread title changed

3. Ravineman Feb 2, 2016

is the any information here about this watch ? Thanks

4. Canuck Feb 2, 2016

I'd be prepared to wager that the movement is a FELSA 690. Or maybe a FELSA 4000 shown here from Dr. Roland Ranfft's movement archive. To know for certain we would need to see the mechanism.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Felsa_4000

Searching the name Mercury I predict, with yield no specific information for you, as there has never been an actual watchmaking company known as Mercury. A generic watch with a generic name.

5. ketiljo Feb 2, 2016

I can't tell you about Mercury, but it looks very much like this one:
    [​IMG]
    The famous "Belinda de luxe"!

The hour numbers are too similar to be a coincident, so I'm willing to bet they come from the same factory. The movement is some kind of ETA (it says so under the balance):. But this is a 21 jevel, not 25 as the OP's.
    [​IMG]

I bought this some time ago because I liked the dial. Other than that, I know nothing (just like Manuel...).

Edited Feb 2, 2016
  6. Canuck Feb 2, 2016

One of the biggest differences right off the bat is that the subject watch is a 25-jewel automatic winder. The "Belinda" is a stem winder. Other than a vague similarity in the appearance of the dial, there is not much that's the same!

7. redpcar Feb 2, 2016

You will need to get the back off and let us look inside. It's always fun to pop the hood and see the goodies.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 2, 2016

Your watch is like many others from generic ebauche/ case assemblers.
    There were literally thousands of watch brands that came and went in the period from 1910 or so up until the late 1960s.

Variations ranged from house brands like Sears, second tier brands from larger companies (e.g. Unicorn by Rolex for a time) and then there were just the "entrepreneur" brands that sometimes only lasted for the blink of an eye.

Many were simply a business venture by private individuals who either assembled the watches with parts from various suppliers or contracted the work out and sold the completed watches.

Like many of these brands, the only way to find out anything about your watch is to refer to the movement, and then you might be able to find out more. Sometimes the movement was marked with the name of the actual company that produced the brand (as well as the ebauche maker, usually near the balance).