Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 May 15, 2017

Hi everyone,

I've always wanted to pick up a vintage Memovox and I came across this one tonight that looks pretty interesting. I've searched and searched, but without a reference number to go on, I can't seem to find a comparable model, let alone one with this colour of dial.

Would the JLC experts out there please let me know if this is at all genuine?

Points is see that look okay:

-Caseback has the little bump that I've often seen on other early Memovoxes

-The JLC font looks very good to me... good enough that I feel it could be genuine.

-Indices look correct.

-hands look correct

-Case looks similar to others I've seen

The dial is just such an unusual colour that I have trouble believing it could be genuine.

Cheers and thanks!

IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG

2. Drawarms May 15, 2017

redone

3. No Mercy May 15, 2017

Absolutely a redone dial, JLC dial didnt come with 10K gold filled case.

4. R3D9 May 15, 2017

Agreed. After conversations with a few other members, I see the following issues to indicate a redial:

- Hour indices appear to be bent strangely (evidence of a re-dial)
    - dots around the middle dial appear uneven in spots
    - the script for "wrist alarm" and "automatic" appear inconsistent quite shoddy

Things that make it less attractive:

- bad re-lume on the hour and minute hands
    - the alarm pinion on the back appears to be damaged
    -the crowns look off
    -the caseback is most likely wrong. Perhaps the pinion issue is because someone poked a whole in the incorrect caseback to allow it to fit what I believe is a correct, if worn, case.

The thing that doesn't line up for me is the JLC script looks very good and not consistent with the other sub-par work. If anyone has a possible explanation for the discrepancy, I'd be interested to hear it.

FYI - the seller was asking $400 and says the watch keeps time and the alarm functions. If true, it still may be worth that or more in parts? The list is ok Watchuseek here, if anyone has interest:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4330314&share_tid=4330314&share_fid=13788&share_type=t

Thanks to the members who kindly talked things through with me via PM. This was a great leaning lesson for me and I know a lot more about the Memovox than I did yesterday.