Forums Latest Members

Vintage Longines Identification

1. Christian85 Oct 16, 2013

Hello all, this is my first post as I was directed here by someone on another watch forum. I have recently received a watch which was owned by my late Grandfather, I would love to know the history of the watch i.e model number, when it was made etc etc. The only details I have are he bought it in the late 50's early 60's, it's manual winding, my grandad said it was 18k gold, the bracelet is gold too which you can't detach from the watch face, there are no markings on it at all, all it says at the 6 o'clock part of the dial is "Swiss made". I'd really appreciate any help as I would love to know some history so when I hand it down in the future. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Christian.

2. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

Hi Christian. You have a very nice heirloom there. Without seeing the inside of the caseback we can't tell you the model number. The bezel and crystal might have to come off as it probably loads from the front, but I can't be sure of that unless I had the watch in hand and it doesn't have the usual markings of a front loading case - or at least that I can see in your pictures. Does it say something about "USE 1200 WRENCH" or "USE 1260 WRENCH" on the edge of the case back somewhere? If I were to gamble on it, I'd bet that you watch has a caliber 370 (even odds) or 23Z (4 to 1) inside; both being very nice manual wind movements.

Have a watchmaker service it and wear it with pride.