Forums Latest Members

Vintage Longines from the war

1. Phillba Aug 14, 2022

Hi,
    I have had this watch passed down to me from my father that his father got in the war. The story behind it is that he swapped a tin of coffee for the watch with an American soldier in the war. I’ve done limited research but found most of these were issued to British airforce so it’s not known how the American soldier had it. I believe some were issued to them but unsure if it was this type. This watch has sentimental value obviously but what would it be valued at? Should I have it in display cabinet or locked in a safe??
    Thanks in advance for any info

B0CBC830-58C3-4132-B911-35A076BF1BB2.jpeg A932883B-208D-4B4C-A02E-854BFE400B19.jpeg 28EB3A5A-9C70-4FA2-938A-626B3B62A2D4.jpeg
    dougiedude and Waltesefalcon like this.
  2. Dan S Aug 14, 2022

It's a great heirloom. As an insurance valuation, I'd say at least $2k, because you could replace it with a good quality example from a dealer for that amount. If you tried to sell it (which you're not going to do, obviously), you'd probably be lucky to get half that amount because of some condition issues that collectors care about. As you probably know, when it comes to collectible items, condition is everything. For me, it would be something to display or wear, but different people feel differently about value.

More importantly, if you can have the watch opened, and read the serial number from the movement and the other numbers stamped inside the case-back, you can send them to Longines via a form on their website (along with photos), and they will send you the historical information on that watch from their archives free of charge. You want to go to the following link and request an Extract of the Archives (not a Certificate of Authenticity). If you click on the link and follow along, it should be clear. I think you will need to set up an account.

https://www.longines.com/en-us/certificate-of-authenticity

Edited Aug 14, 2022
  3. Perdurabo Aug 15, 2022

Hi Phillba,

Your model is known as 6b/159 and it's so famous that Longines reissued it (see below).

Why would you lock it in a safe? I suggest to take it to the watchmaker and give it a full service - that's a perfect watch for every day!
    If you have a new watch, you'll be sad to find the first scratches. If that happens to an old military watch that has patina already, you don't lose any value. The 12.68n inside your watch is almost indestructible if serviced. And another plus: While most military watches come with radioactive radium on the face, the 6b/159 is one of the few without.

You think it's too small for your wrist? A bund strap makes it look larger. Below is a pic of a 12.68z (same size) on my 200mm wrist.

Only the hour hand is incorrect, it will take some time to find a matching replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dougiedude and Waltesefalcon like this.
  4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 15, 2022

That hour hand is from an 6B Omega ..... And the OP watch: service it. Value under $1000 with that dial. And get rid of the flex band. They are Lug killers.... It's a very nice watch for everyday wear.

dougiedude likes this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Aug 15, 2022

Great advice all.

Getting it serviced will bring back new life to your grandfather’s watch, and increase its value both as an heirloom and as a time-keeper. Make sure the watchmaker doesn’t polish off the wonderful wear that your ancestors and others have given it over the many years.

… and always keep in mind that it will not be water resistant even after service, although it might be a little better off in that regard following such…

Here’s mine I bought 2 years ago onthis forum from a fellow member:

5C31536A-EBD7-491E-A6FF-C6016F0E77F4.jpeg

Gaz6263 likes this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Aug 15, 2022

I would like to get a bund for mine!