Forums Latest Members

Vintage Longines for review; 14kt rose/yellow gold, probably 40's

1. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

Is there any expert who could please tell me something about this watch? It's on my friend's "wish list" with some suspicious Omega (posted in Omega forum), decision has to be made very soon, so I wonder how rare and valuable this Longines really is... Thanks in advance!!!

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2015

The picture looks distorted to me. I would want to see more pictures to have an opinion.

Longines made "drivers watches" with flexible lugs in the 1930's. Very much in style. The idea was that it could sit flat on your wrist in normal wearing, but when you drive your car (most of which did not have clocks), the lugs would flex so it would sit on the side of your wrist. You then could see the time without removing your eyes from the road.

Here's my example:

[​IMG]

Only problem is that the lugs and case should match color. Never heard of a two-tone version.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

DaveK likes this.
  3. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

Thank you! I searched the internet and I have found only one watch exactly the same like this one - rose with yellow, so I do not believe it's customized. Some store form Poland sells it on ebay as "Dolce Vita" model, but that one probably does not have original glass...

Watch looks better in hands than on this photograph. Back side is curved and the crown might be original since the color is matching rose gold. Unfortunately I didn't make any more pics, I did't know I'll need it...

4. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2015

I would also say ladies watch on that one.

I would need to see multiple example in two-tone before declaring the case to be all original.

Dial looks to be a rather modern redial. The price is outrageous, even if 14K with an original dial. Maybe a $300 to $400 watch with an original dial, and even that might be high.

Think I paid $60 or $70 for mine, but is it gold-filled.

I'd find another one.
    gatorcpa

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  6. Eclipse Sep 28, 2015

thanks gatorcpa!

the one which I have posted seems to be original but still I have no clue what could be a fair price for it. however, asking price is closer to the ebay offer than your estimation...

btw., please note the glass which is "in trapeze shape" looking from the side, so the letters seen through it looks "cut out". I do not think that the one on ebay has it, so probably it's replaced as well the watch was was polished and redialed...