Forums Latest Members
  1. FredDib Oct 5, 2013

Hi,

I have been given an old ladies Seamaster by my grandparent and if anybody could help, I would like to know the following things:

1. Roughly how old is it?
    2. What would the original strap have been like?
    3. Is it mechanical or battery?
    4. Where is the best place to get it restored to its original condition?

I don't want to sell the watch; I will keep it forever, so thought i'd get it working and the wife could wear it out 'to best'

Many thanks in advance!

Fred

Omega.JPG

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 5, 2013

Looking at the Seamaster script font it should be 1950-ish watch. So no question it would be mechanical since electronic and quartz watches just started in mid 1970s. More info could be revealed if you could show us the inside case back picture.

It is difficult to know the exact type of original strap. It would be even harder to find one available now. Modern strap replacement is generally acceptable, even among vintage watch collectors. (Bracelet is another matter)

Omega Service Center is NOT a good place to service vintage watch. Several watchmaker in here like Al (Archer) or Steve (N2FHL) are highly recommended. Depend on where you live, there are several service center recommended by many members here such as STS in UK.

It is a lovely, simple, elegant and timeless design watch. With its history, it should become a cherished heirloom in your family. With proper service it will serve many more generation to come.

FredDib likes this.
  3. FredDib Oct 5, 2013

Thank you for the reply.

I had a look at the back and doubt I can get in the case without damaging it, so probably best I don't try :)

If this offers any other info here is a picture of the back. In a quick Google I found similar watches, but none with the monster thing on the back. So I'm not too sure if that means anything as such.

omega2.JPG

4. Habitant Oct 5, 2013

The 'monster thing' is the Seamaster! It's the traditional Omega engraving on the back of this model range. You'll most likely damage the back in trying to open it, so best leave well enough alone for now. As PrivateDay7 suggests, the best would be to get a service by a good watch repairman. To a certain degree, many of us here can share our experiences of good 'uns, so if you give us a geographic area, chances are someone will know someone worth taking it to. I'd be reluctant to take it to most jewellers nowadays, for example, but there are quite a few good traditional and dedicated repairmen who would treat this with respect (as previously mentioned).
    If you have the patience, you can go to the Omega vintage watch database and look under Seamaster and will most likely find your watch.... it might take a few minutes, as there've been a few made.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history

5. FredDib Oct 5, 2013

Thanks for the link. I went through all the ladies ones but could not find the exact model.

I live in the UK, so the STS company sounds exactly like what I need.

To double check, I presume it's these people?

http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk

6. John R Smith Oct 5, 2013

With a handle like FredDib, you had to be from the UK ;) I presume a chimney stack will be your avatar . . .You have got the correct firm (STS) right there in your link. Does the watch not wind, set and run at present?

7. FredDib Oct 5, 2013

I dare not wind it in case it needs oiling or something and I damage it.

Or should I just try wind it?

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2013

Don't wind it until after it's serviced.

9. John R Smith Oct 5, 2013

Very sensible. Often the reason watches get put away in a drawer is that they have ceased to work. However, if you live near any large town or city there should often be a competent watchmaker local to you where you could take the watch for examination. He (or she) would be able to remove the back, check the movement, and see if there is a serious problem or not without doing any damage to it. If, for example, all that is wrong with it is a broken mainspring, then replacing that coupled with cleaning and lubrication may be all that is needed - which will be a lot cheaper than a full "restoration".

10. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 5, 2013

Send it to Christian (watchguy.co.uk) he'll service it sympathetically and reasonably.

11. Habitant Oct 5, 2013

Second that vote.

12. FredDib Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to send it off to the watchguy chap.

Patrick Dixon likes this.