Forums Latest Members
  1. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

Hi, I am new here. But wondered if anyone can help me. I have a vintage ladies omega watch, 9ct gold. It's hallmarked with DS&S, which I understand is the maker. Hallmark 9 375, Assayed in Edinburgh. Then there is a hallmark which I can't recognise...it looks like a hammer on a diagonal angle?
    My watch looks exactly like this one in the picture, same strap dial colour etc. However, mine has a numbered dial, not batons. Can anyone shed any info on this for me. Would be greatly appreciated. I will try to upload pics when I can.
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

Hi. We need pictures of your actual watch, especially of the hallmarks, inside of the caseback, and movement.

3. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

I will try and get pics on very soon. Can't open the back to get to the hallmarks. Took it to a jeweller who couldn't get the back off and they scratched the back in the process! I will take pic of the movement though.

4. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

5. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

Wow...managed to somehow get the back case off!
    In the centre of the case it's stamped with the numbers 711500 underneath which it's hallmarked 9.375 then what looks like a number1 then next to that what looks like a 'shield' hallmark
    Above this top left it's scribed MG 5/243
    To the right near the opening for the winder is scribed in small numbers 4365 10305
    Top right it's scribed 647 CJ (not 1005 sure on the initials)
    On the movement it's self it says 17 jewels. Also has the numbers 23407664 stamped.

Hope this means something to someone. Would be fascinating to get some info.
    Regards

6. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

Your watch has a caliber 620 from 1965/1966-ish. Can't quite see the hallmarks clear enough to be sure, but it might be a UK case. It's definitely 9ct gold by the 9 .375 (37.5% gold). Use this to match up the hallmark immediately to the right of the .375:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html

7. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

The closest one I can identify is 'L'. which would indicate 1960. I went on the omega website and tried to search the number on the case but it wouldn't find anything. Is there any way of identifying it via another means? Thanks for your help by the way.

8. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

I believe DS&S were watch case makers for Rolex and Omega in the 60's

9. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

A.L. Dennison made a lot of Omega, Longines, and other brand's cases for the UK.

The Omega vintage database is incomplete and hardly ever shows UK case references.

10. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

Do you think the watch is worth much? I have thought of getting it valued but my local jeweller charges a lot for valuation service.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Jeweller valuations are rarely worth getting, they have no real clue on items like this so they just guess or quote "replacement value" for what a new gold Omega would cost which isn't representative.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2013

Ladies watches are really not worth a lot typically. If this was worth more than scrap gold content I would be surprised.

Cheers, Al

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Spot on really, and being a ladies watch its fairly light, and being 9K gold, the content isn't very high either. You're best keeping it as a family heirloom and not worrying about the value.

14. jinnie75 Apr 6, 2013

I shall. I do wear it and I love it. Mum had it for some years and she gave it to me to keep for my girls when they're older. Thanks all for your replies.

15. nsmike Apr 6, 2013

My experience is that when the watch is on a gold bracelet the value is worth a significant premium to melt. Of course 14KT and !8KT carry a higher premium. The value is as a piece of jewelry not as a watch the closer to contemporary bracelet styles the better. Old gold filled bracelets get worn and looks cheap, killing their value, only the solid gold seems to keep any value.