Forums Latest Members

Vintage JLC Atmos clocks -what to look for

1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 9, 2016

I've long wanted a mechanical desk clock and am fascinated by the Atmos but the price of a new one or a pre-owned modern example is more than what I'd be willing to spend. So I've been thinking about a vintage cal. 540 from the 60S- 80s, which commonly go from about $800 to $1500 on eBay.

Anyone have any experience buying a pre-owned Atmos and have any tips to share? I'm a little leery because I know they need to be handled carefully and I don't want to buy one that might have been damaged. Thanks!

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2016

Afraid I've never owned one. What I do know, however, is that its really important that they are packaged correctly before shipping.

As far as I remember there is a procedure to follow with the movement before subjecting them to transit, otherwise a perfectly functioning clock may need a service by the time it reaches you.

Andy K likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 2, 2016

Don't know why I haven't seen this post before. I bought an Atmos about 10 years ago off eBay and I have to say that it is the most accurate mechanical timepiece I own.

[​IMG]

A few tips I remember from back then:

1. Try to find one with the inner box. During the 1960's and 1970's, the Atmos was shipped in custom cut styrofoam containers. Shock absorbing and secure.

2. They need to be double or triple boxed and sent by ground transportation if possible. Atmoses are pressure and temperature sensitive, so the cargo hold of an airplane can cause some problems. No overseas shipping either.

3. The gold finish on these clocks is very fragile. Once it pits or tarnishes, replating is your only option and that's very expensive.

4. There are a few sellers on eBay who are clockmakers who specialize in Atmoses. Try to find them, as you want a piece that was properly serviced. These do not need service as often as watches, but when they do, it can be very pricey. A new bellows can run you $300 by itself.

5. Make sure you download the set-up instructions.

http://www.atmosclocks.com/care.html

You must have a location that is perfectly level or the clock will not run properly.

Good luck with your search.
    gatorcpa

4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 2, 2016

Thank you both! I appreciate the input and advice. We're listing our house for sale shortly and will be moving this summer so I'm thinking I should wait until after the move to buy an Atmos rather than subject it to being packed and moved twice.:)

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 3, 2016

A bit late on this thread but I have purchased one from Jay641 on ebay last year.Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Could not be happier about this clock. Recommend this seller.

Andy K likes this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 3, 2016

Thanks for that. Less than 6 weeks until I move and I'll be diving into the Atmos market. I'll be sure to look out for this seller's offerings. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Deafboy likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 3, 2016

In addition to the great advice above...

Your check book, a source for parts, good clock craftsman, then your check book again.:p

Andy K likes this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 3, 2016

In fact, I haven't put a cent since I received it last year. Works perfectly. Just don't forget to lock the pendulum if ever you move it (even an inch).

9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 3, 2016

I second that. Never touch the gold case or other gold parts with your bare fingers. Grab the case by the glass or use gloves, etc. A tarnished Atmos is a sad sight.

Andy K likes this.
  10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 4, 2016

This thread needs more Atmos pictures!

1964 Model 528

Angle2.jpg Front.jpg

11. Mick Tock May 4, 2016

[​IMG]

This is a 1954 LeCoultre Atmos IV Tuxedo in natural sun light.

[​IMG]

Enjoy,

Mick

12. Mick Tock May 5, 2016

[​IMG]
    It's a Jaeger …

[​IMG]
    … -LeCoultre Atmos …

[​IMG]
    … for our millennium.

[​IMG]

This is a Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos du Millénaire Atlantis showing the time until the year 3000 with a very precise phase of the moon (not on my clock, though, it needs further adjustment).

[​IMG]

I got the clock a few years ago still indicating January 2000. It was fun to fast forward the first decade of the millennium.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mick

13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 5, 2016

Atmos du Millénaire: that's a remarkable clock! Thanks for sharing. Does it take in account for leap years, etc.?

14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 5, 2016

::love::Stunning Mick! That is so cool. I wonder if it has an alarm that plays this song in the year 2525:

:D:D

15. Mick Tock May 6, 2016

Thank you very much for your appreciation.
    Well, an Atmos clock lets you experience the course of the time in a different way. It does not display seconds because the pendulum (the equivalent of the balance wheel) oscillates one time per minute only in order to save energy. Therefore, the fastest indication, the minute hand, moves every 30 seconds. Though, by exactly observing this tick of the minute hand it is possible to regulate the clock to highest precision. My clock currently runs with +1s/d averaged over a week.

Likewise the calendar: this clock does not care about the day of the week nor about the day number of a month. You certainly know that the concept of leap years only serves to correct our not so precise division of time. Thus, on the Atmos the moon phase is more important than different month lengths.

[​IMG]
    Please note, that the month display on my clock is off a few days.

The main movement drives the phases of the moon disc which is coupled to the disc with twelve month sectors, hence no leap year correction. The whole calendar including the thin years hand is adjusted by turning a correction pin in the socket below the moon phase display forwards or backwards.

I really appreciate the slow down effect of every Atmos clock, even without calendar.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited Jun 4, 2016
  16. marc m Jun 3, 2016

i have an atmos which ran fine for three years. but now it is running intermitently. it will run for ~7-8 hours then quit. i don't think that diaphram is leaking. any thoughts.
    thank you

17. Mick Tock Jun 4, 2016

Are you sure that the first oscillation after starting the movement is long enough, way more than 360°? Depending on the current position of the pendulum releasing the locking lever may not free sufficient energy.

You may try to turn the minute hand forwards one full rotation in unlocked state in order to start a full oscillation. Never touch the pendulum.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mick

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2016

Which is a sign that the clock is not winding properly.

This may be caused by several things, but most of the time, either the temperature in the room isn't changing enough to keep it wound or the clock needs a horological cleaning.
    gatorcpa

19. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2016

Hmmmm, I've cleaned a few clocks before and even had my clock cleaned a couple times.

Not horologically speaking though. :p

20. Mick Tock Jun 4, 2016

Not necessarily.

Please imagine the pendulum unlocked but motionless, i.e. in the middle position. Moving the locking lever to the right turns the pendulum by not more than 20°. When you release the locking lever – and you should do this carefully without giving an additional impulse – the initial amplitude is about 40°. I had to learn that the mechanism is not able to add enough energy to finally yield an amplitude of more than 360°, at least on my not absolutely horologically clean but perfectly working Atmos clocks.

Mick