Forums Latest Members
  1. krusty3109 Jul 28, 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that you guys could help me with some questions. I'm interested in purchasing a vintage IWC watch but don't have any experience in purchasing a pre-owned luxury watch.

I've met the seller, viewed the watch and if I should decide to get it, I am planning to get it authenticated, just to be safe. However, there were little areas of rust on the back of the watch and that's a concern to me. Would it possible to remove the rust? Also, would this kind of repair cost a lot? From what I could see, the rust looked like it's eating into the casing quite a bit. So because of the position of where the rust is at, if it should get removed, would there be an unevenness in the casing, causing it to not be secured tightly and the possibility of water entering the casing? I've attached a photo of it for reference.

I apologise if these questions sound dumb but I'm new to all this and am still learning. Would really appreciate all the help I can get, in helping me make a decision about this watch. Thank you in advance for all your replies!

IMG_0935.PNG IMG_0941.JPG
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 1, 2019

Welcome to OF! For future posts, members here can direct their energy to your post most easily if the title is more clear, such as “Opinions needed on possible purchase of IWC. ;)

I am newish to collecting, depending on the subject I’d say I am new to intermediate in adding value to a conversation. Across the board though, this is what I have learned. There were literally millions of watches made pre-1970. Millions. So, why buy one that is in rough shape. It can be too tempting to buy one we like and to look past flaws. I still consider doing that all too frequently :oops:. Some watches or their parts can be refurbished, but what is that cost, and would your time and energy best spent on that, or would you rather look back and say “I am glad I waited and saved more for this other watch”. I can’t really advise on the watch, just my $.02 on the buying process.

Okay, back to you:D I would worry that the water damage was inside as well as outside. Did you get a movement photo as well?

3. Dan S Aug 1, 2019

Before purchasing, I suggest you post a high resolution in-focus photo of the dial from a straight-on perspective. That way, we can determine if the dial is original, or whether it has been repainted, which I suspect.

Shabbaz likes this.
  4. Professor Aug 1, 2019

I'm wondering if that is actually "Rust" since its unlikely to be common steel, or instead a corrosive action from body fluids, sweat, blood, etc.
    Some medical conditions (Diabetes or Liver disease) can cause acetone and/or ammonia to be excreted in sweat. This can eat away plating and corrode non ferrous metals.

I've seen the lower of an early production M16 partly eaten away from continued contact with sweaty hands in jungle environments. Salt water could do the same. They later altered the surface finish to prevent this.

Fine looking watch hope its in no worse condition than it looks to be.

PS
    The case looks very much like the case of my HMT SONA. Construction is identical.

krusty3109 and DaveK like this.
  5. Shabbaz Aug 1, 2019

+1

6. Shabbaz Aug 1, 2019

Do you have pictures of the inside? What's thr caliber?

7. Shabbaz Aug 1, 2019

Is there a 'swiss' under the 6 marker?

8. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your replies. I've included a few more photos but they are not in the best quality as it's been taken off the seller's ad. I've asked him for additional images but he's taking a while to get back to me about that. I only managed to snap 1 other photo besides the photo of the back of the watch that I previously posted. Hope it helps a little.

I didnt managed to take a look at the movement, I was only going to do so, when I get the watch authenticated. I am hoping that I could ask the shop for advice then. The image below of the movement was taken off the seller's ad but I suspect that was taken a while back as the image of the back cover that he posted didnt have the rusty bits as well.

I'm not too sure what the caliber is, but from the research I've done, I think it's a Cal 401 but I cant confirm this. I've asked the seller as well and he doesn't know either. Basically, he bought the watch off a collector a while back because he just liked it.

Thank you all again!

IMG_0930.PNG IMG_0931.PNG IMG_0932.PNG IMG_0934.PNG IMG_0940.JPG
  9. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

Yup there is

10. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

I've added a few more photos but they're not great. It was taken off the seller's ad

11. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

Thanks for the advice and also about the title suggestion, I'll improve on them for future posts. :thumbsup:

But yeah, that's pretty much what I'm torn about right now. While I really like the watch, I'm not comfortable getting it if it's gonna have so many issues. Also, because of where I live (Singapore), it's not very often I come across a vintage watch that I like locally. I've thought about getting watches online but there are just too many risks involved.

12. Shabbaz Aug 2, 2019

Cal 401 is very good possible. I do have some very strong doubts about the dial. The font to me is off. The majority of black dials from the 60's are redialed. I lean to redial but maybe others will think different. Also micro pictures are required to make a better judgement of the dial.

Online is'nt risky as long as you know what you're doing. You can post here before purchasing.

13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 2, 2019

I hear you about buying online. Make sure you check out the sales pages here - you can get great options and buy with better confidence.

14. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

Alright, I'll continue looking around :) Thank you!

15. krusty3109 Aug 2, 2019

Will do, thank you!