Vintage Hamilton 18K gold Thin-o-matic T-101

As the title says, I recently acquired this gold Thin-o-matic. This might interest Hamilton fans.

Previously I owned an 18k Stormking I watch, from which I learned that of the hundreds of Hamilton models, they only produced 15 models in 18k gold. It is another reminder that the scarcity and rarity does not always translate to price. I could find a 2998 sooner than another Hamilton T-101.

Just about everything I know comes from Dan's HamiltonChronicles blog. I suspect many of the Hamilton fans are familiar with his work.

From him I learned that there should be a 25 jewell caliber 691 micro-rotor made by Buren (edited). I haven't opened it yet and will defer to a watchmaker.

The watch came on a flex bracelet, which did its work on the lugs. The case is in otherwise good condition. The crystal cleaned up nicely with some poly and the dial looks unscratched. The hands are dirty and possibly pitted, but all the lume looks intact.

Surprisingly the little automatic started running as I cleaned the crystal and has been keeping time.

At 33mm, i intended this to be for my wife, although I have worn small Hamiltons and like them. When she she first saw itvshe said it looked old, which I believe she means the styling is dated.

Like all Hamiltons, this has very interesting curves and case lines. I don't think I adequately photographed it but you can probably get the idea. It should look great on a strap.

The caseback has an interesting engraving from an historic copper mine.

Here are pictures.

20230214_183415.jpg 20230214_183905.jpg 20230214_183930.jpg 20230214_183939.jpg 20230214_183947.jpg 20230214_184014.jpg 20230214_184110.jpg 20230214_183558.jpg 20230214_183129.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 5.29.15 PM.png
The ad says in small print that the 18k is available.

EDIT: Source Dan Keefe. HamiltonChronicles

"There are three different kinds of Thin-o-matic models, well, actually six if you want to include the ones with date complications.

"The first Thin-o-matic models used Buren-made Swiss ebauches with small oscillating weights, a.k.a. micro rotors. These movements include the 663, 666, et al calibers and were unique designs where all the parts were attached on the same side, or plain, of the main plate. This allowed the overall thickness of the movement to have a very thin profile.

"Also included in the early Thin-o-matics were ETA calibers that looked like the familiar ETA movements in the Accumatic line (689, 689A, et al) except the profile of the oscillating weight and overall movement was much narrower.

"You can easily tell what type of movement is inside a Thin-o-matic by looking at the back of the case. If it's wide and flat it's a micro-rotor and if it's pie-pan shaped it's got an ETA movement inside.

"In the 1967 time frame Hamilton had acquired Buren and a new generation of Thin-o-matic models were introduced. The new micro-rotor movements look similar to the earlier generation but there are a number of critical differences. One of the biggest is the center wheel is offset in the second generation calibers and that can present a significant challenge to collectors today. The other, more obvious, difference is the earlier micro-rotors were plated with a pink plating while the second generation are nickel plated.

"Hamilton changed the model nomenclature for the new generation of Thin-o-matics from T-something to TM-something. So if the model name begins with TM then you know it's from after 1967."
Edited:

A stunning piece. Since starting my love affair with watches (which is still very new), I was quickly drawn to vintage Hamiltons and was (and still am) taken by the thin-o-matic line of watches - the variety of which is seemingly unending. As you said, 18k gold Hamilton's do not often come up - I believe I have only come across a couple on the bay (both in sub-par condition). All that to say, great piece and thank you for sharing.

I myself should be receiving my own thin-o-matic in the mail soon - I am very excited to share once it arrives. I too sought out Dan's HamiltonChronicles blog when researching my own watch and even reached out to Dan. Both the man and the resource are sensational for anyone looking to educate themselves on the brand and their history.

Thanks again and all the best.

Wow most of the Thin-o-matics we have found in the tri-state area are either gold filled, 10k or 14k and usually top loaders.
Never seen that model before. I believe the movements are Buren if my memory serves me correctly. 👍

I just spoke with Dan and he confirmed that the dial is a redial. He may have another better dial.

I mention this for any future member who compares their Thin-o-matic to these photos. The tells are the fat font on the H logo and Thin-o-matic font.

I'll be sending it off to him for a service and addition to his blog. When he finishes in a few months I will update this post. It's extra fun to find a watch Dan hasn't yet included in his blog. Adds to the treasure hunt feeling. This will be my third addition to his blog. If i sound like I'm bragging, i am 😀 if nothing else, maybe it'll encourage other Hamilton enthusiasts to take the challenge to help fill in his gaps.

Here’s one that sold not too long ago that has the original dial.

Awesome watch 👍

Here’s one that sold not too long ago that has the original dial.

Awesome watch 👍

The pearlized dials are nice. The indices are unusual too in that they are like an arrowhead on top of an arrowhead. Many similar Thin-o-matics only have the one arrowhead. Plus, the art deco 3, 6, 9, 12 is fun.

I may end up keeping my dial as Dan doesn't have the same dial as he thought. I'm looking but the few I found are Masterpiece. It'll take patience.

I noticed the hands are slightly different on mine compared to the recently sold one. Mine have a pointed end near the center whereas the hands on the sold one are flat near the center. I have seen more flat ones when looking for a dial. I suspect mine are original because they have crud build up, but I will need to look at more.

I'll keep looking but may end up having to keep the original dial. It's not horrible, although that "H" is pretty bad. Maybe get it serviced and swap later if I find a replacement. My wife won't mind but it's the curse of the pendantic watch collector to not be satisfied.

The 18k Hamiltons pop up so rarely that it’s hard to find comparables. If you’re really keen, you can reach out to Mark at vintagehamilton. He has a T-101 but it might have a refinished dial if I’m not mistaken.
This is one I owned previously that also had the relatively uncommon 25 jewel grade 691.

The watch is finished. Here is Dan's writeup: Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1959 Thin-o-matic T-101 (hamiltonchronicles.com)

Friday, March 31, 2023

If you really wanted a small, but exquisite collection of Hamilton models centered around a single theme you could focus your attention on several potential options. One might be to collect all the CLDs, there are 19 different models, but good luck locating a Tildon.

Another option would be to obtain all of the Lord Lancaster models that feature diamonds in one form or another. There are 21 models to attempt to find and some will cost you plenty.

A third option would be to focus solely on watches cased in 18K gold. There are only 13 cataloged models with 18K cases. One of them is the Barbizon from 1957, which I used to call the Unicorn, as everyone had heard of it but no one had ever seen one - until they did. There's only one known to exist. Priced at $2,200 in 1957, you can imagine why...that would be $23,500 in today's dollars!

One of the 18K models you could try to find is the 1959 the Thin-o-matic T-101. It was mentioned in the 1959 catalog and looked identical to the T-201, which was cased in 14K gold for the hoi polloi. However, the T-201 was offered with a solid 14K bracelet, which would have been pretty special.

You had to wait until 1962 to see an image of the T-101 next to the T-201. If you have an eye for detail you will notice the dial features the stylized H logo. This actually showed up in 1960 and I've always been under the belief that it came as a result of Hamilton acquisition and integration of Huguenin Watch Co in the late 1950s. However, it's the other way around.

One of my Hamilton collector friends is an exceptional detective and sleuth. He pointed out to me that the stylized H logo was first used by Hamilton in 1956, before the acquisition of Huguenin, and formally registered as a trademark in 1958, around the same time as the acquisition. Thus proving once again that correlation doesn't imply causation.

This lends itself to a very common question I receive... "Is my crown correct when it's a pre-1956 watch with a stylized H?". I usually respond, with something like "if the crown fits, wear it", meaning that a crown with a stylized H logo was made by Hamilton and intended to be used. Many watches pre-1952 had tap 8 stems and no Hamilton watches after 1952 had tap 8 crowns - so if a tap 8 crown has an H logo (and many do), it's simply a Hamilton replacement for an original crown.

Anyway, I recently received a T-101 from a fellow collector in need of some TLC. As received it was in decent shape but the dial has obviously been refinished and the printing is a little crudely executed.

The case back is nicely engraved with a presentation for 25 years service. There is no date though to confirm the year this watch was presented.

Inside the case back you can clearly see Hamilton W Co Lancaster PA and 18K. The J with a spear logo indicates the case was made by Jonell Watch Case, Inc. in NY. Notice the rub marks inside the case back from the small oscillating weight inside, aka the micro-rotor. If the rotor rides up it's axle a bit it will rub on the case back.

The movement inside is a 620 caliber, made by Buren for Hamilton. Within a few year Hamilton would purchase Buren too and eventually close the Lancaster plant and move production to Buren's Swiss factory.

If you weren't convinced the dial was refinished, all you have to do is look at the back of it. The scratched in letters indicate it's been redone.

These micro-rotor movements have a lot of parts and disassembling the movement for the first time is a daunting task. The trick is to not have any parts left over when you reassemble it, and to not lose or damage anything during the process.

Success! The movement is back together and running. The only thing not installed is the rotor. I'll put that on after it goes on the timer.

It's running a little fast but that's easy to adjust.

A tweak here, a tweak there, and the beat rate comes into line.

Everything gets put back together and placed back into the case. It's noticeably shinier now, don't you think?

In the "after" photo the watch looks pretty good. Now you can clearly see the printing on the dial is a bit sloppy.

Believe it or not, I was able to find an almost new old stock dial for sale. What a HUGE improvement. The radial finish on the dial is excellent and the printing is an exact match for a 1959 T-201 / T-101. This watch would be the pride of the fleet in any Hamilton collection.

Posted by HandyDan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From www.ranfft.de comes this information about the caliber 620:

Remarks
1957-1962
first movement family with micro rotor
selfwinding gear with direction switching by a pinion floating between two huge jewels (Fig.4)
in 17-jewels variants one of these jewels substituted by polished steel disc

family/generations:
663, 666: second with friction spring
619: second with double third wheel, date
620: second with double third wheel
Hamilton designations of other Buren calibres will be added, as soon as they become known.

Example, year: signature; shock device
ca. 1960: HYL, BAA, 1005, Hamilton Watch Co., 620, Swiss, 17 Jewels; Incabloc
Edited:

The watch is finished. Here is Dan's writeup: Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1959 Thin-o-matic T-101 (hamiltonchronicles.com)

Friday, March 31, 2023

If you really wanted a small, but exquisite collection of Hamilton models centered around a single theme you could focus your attention on several potential options. One might be to collect all the CLDs, there are 19 different models, but good luck locating a Tildon.

Another option would be to obtain all of the Lord Lancaster models that feature diamonds in one form or another. There are 21 models to attempt to find and some will cost you plenty.

A third option would be to focus solely on watches cased in 18K gold. There are only 13 cataloged models with 18K cases. One of them is the Barbizon from 1957, which I used to call the Unicorn, as everyone had heard of it but no one had ever seen one - until they did. There's only one known to exist. Priced at $2,200 in 1957, you can imagine why...that would be $23,500 in today's dollars!

One of the 18K models you could try to find is the 1959 the Thin-o-matic T-101. It was mentioned in the 1959 catalog and looked identical to the T-201, which was cased in 14K gold for the hoi polloi. However, the T-201 was offered with a solid 14K bracelet, which would have been pretty special.

You had to wait until 1962 to see an image of the T-101 next to the T-201. If you have an eye for detail you will notice the dial features the stylized H logo. This actually showed up in 1960 and I've always been under the belief that it came as a result of Hamilton acquisition and integration of Huguenin Watch Co in the late 1950s. However, it's the other way around.

One of my Hamilton collector friends is an exceptional detective and sleuth. He pointed out to me that the stylized H logo was first used by Hamilton in 1956, before the acquisition of Huguenin, and formally registered as a trademark in 1958, around the same time as the acquisition. Thus proving once again that correlation doesn't imply causation.

This lends itself to a very common question I receive... "Is my crown correct when it's a pre-1956 watch with a stylized H?". I usually respond, with something like "if the crown fits, wear it", meaning that a crown with a stylized H logo was made by Hamilton and intended to be used. Many watches pre-1952 had tap 8 stems and no Hamilton watches after 1952 had tap 8 crowns - so if a tap 8 crown has an H logo (and many do), it's simply a Hamilton replacement for an original crown.

Anyway, I recently received a T-101 from a fellow collector in need of some TLC. As received it was in decent shape but the dial has obviously been refinished and the printing is a little crudely executed.

The case back is nicely engraved with a presentation for 25 years service. There is no date though to confirm the year this watch was presented.

Inside the case back you can clearly see Hamilton W Co Lancaster PA and 18K. The J with a spear logo indicates the case was made by Jonell Watch Case, Inc. in NY. Notice the rub marks inside the case back from the small oscillating weight inside, aka the micro-rotor. If the rotor rides up it's axle a bit it will rub on the case back.

The movement inside is a 620 caliber, made by Buren for Hamilton. Within a few year Hamilton would purchase Buren too and eventually close the Lancaster plant and move production to Buren's Swiss factory.

If you weren't convinced the dial was refinished, all you have to do is look at the back of it. The scratched in letters indicate it's been redone.

These micro-rotor movements have a lot of parts and disassembling the movement for the first time is a daunting task. The trick is to not have any parts left over when you reassemble it, and to not lose or damage anything during the process.

Success! The movement is back together and running. The only thing not installed is the rotor. I'll put that on after it goes on the timer.

It's running a little fast but that's easy to adjust.

A tweak here, a tweak there, and the beat rate comes into line.

Everything gets put back together and placed back into the case. It's noticeably shinier now, don't you think?

In the "after" photo the watch looks pretty good. Now you can clearly see the printing on the dial is a bit sloppy.

Believe it or not, I was able to find an almost new old stock dial for sale. What a HUGE improvement. The radial finish on the dial is excellent and the printing is an exact match for a 1959 T-201 / T-101. This watch would be the pride of the fleet in any Hamilton collection.

Posted by HandyDan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From www.ranfft.de comes this information about the caliber 620:

Remarks
1957-1962
first movement family with micro rotor
selfwinding gear with direction switching by a pinion floating between two huge jewels (Fig.4)
in 17-jewels variants one of these jewels substituted by polished steel disc

family/generations:
663, 666: second with friction spring
619: second with double third wheel, date
620: second with double third wheel
Hamilton designations of other Buren calibres will be added, as soon as they become known.

Example, year: signature; shock device
ca. 1960: HYL, BAA, 1005, Hamilton Watch Co., 620, Swiss, 17 Jewels; Incabloc
Wow, great watch and post! Congrats. Enjoyed reading and learning 😀