Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Grand Seiko 5722 aka "57GS"

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 14, 2020

In an odd coincidence, in terms of timing, I was preparing to list this Grand Seiko when another example appeared on the forum, and was apparently sold fairly quickly.

This is the second generation of the original, and iconic Grand Seiko. It was also the first to incorporate a date function, and was known as the "self-dater". It also had a water resistance to 50 meters, which was a significant advance over the first generation snap-back cases. The "57GS" is a shortened reference to the 5722A movement. There were actually a few variations of this second generation model (e.g. gold-capped; slightly different movements), which you can parse out through the links provided below.

Without going too deeply into the fascinating history of Seiko, and its Flagship GS model line, for the benefit of those who aren't at all familiar with it, consider the following. In the late '50s and early '60s, Japan began to make an enormously important, industrial transition. In the west, Japanese products were, at the time, not associated with high quality, and the country set about to change that negative perception. This can be seen most clearly, in a consumer context, through the lens of cars (think Toyota and Honda), electronics (Sony), and watches (Seiko). All of those domestic industries improved dramatically over a remarkably short period of time. What the transition meant in practical terms is that tremendous energy and resources were put into designing and building mass produced, "world-class" products, and it obviously set the stage for what would ultimately become a fantastic success.

These second-generation Grand Seiko were higher production than the first generation, yet the quality was, in many ways, at least equivalent to the best of many of the then long-standing, Swiss manufacturers. They were first produced in 1964; this particular example dates to June of 1965.

For those who would like to dig deeper into the associated Seiko history, here are some useful links:

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/grand-seiko-collectors-guide/

https://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the-history-of-grand-seiko

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2017/10/03/a-grand-seiko-self-dater-from-1965/

https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/about/history

Given the resources that I have linked to above, I'm going to keep the rest of the advert fairly short and sweet. These are outstanding watches. Not only are they historically significant, but the quality and class with which Seiko designed and manufactured them is remarkable. This particular example is in very good to excellent condition overall, and I believe it to be original, with the exception of the (nice) bracelet, and possibly the crystal.

The 36.5mm case and original crown are very good condition. The case shows normal signs of wear, including light scratches, but there are no deep, or otherwise off-putting marks. The chamfers on the lugs are intact, though it may have seen a light polish at some point. The iconic gold lion medallion on the case back is in very good condition as well.

The silver sunburst dial, and top-class dial furniture are in excellent condition. When you look at these dials, applied indexes and hands, the extraordinary quality of Seiko's materials and workmanship shine through. The hour and minute hands are finely chamfered, and even the date window is arguably of a higher class than the vast majority found on Swiss watches from the same period.

The 35 jewel cal. 5722A movement is working properly, and features a quick-set date function. I did have it serviced years ago, but would recommend one for regular use.

[​IMG]

These 57GS Grand Seiko typically sell for between around $1200 to $2000, depending on condition, and whether there are any extras included. In this instance, there are two desirable extras. The first is the bracelet, which I believe was originally found on a later production Grand Seiko. But it came with this watch when I bought it, and fits it really well. The condition is good (some stretch), and construction is excellent. The "GS" clasp has a fine, "pinstripe" background. PLEASE NOTE though: it is not a long bracelet. I have a small wrist, and it fits loosely, but I do not think that it would fit comfortably on a wrist that is even on the larger side of medium.

The second extra is an uncommon, original box set (inner and outer). These are not easy to find, and in my experience sell for a minimum of a two or three hundreds of dollars alone, when they do appear in Japan. The outer box shows wear, but the inner box is excellent. This set ill always add value to the watch.

I ask $1450 (or EUR equivalent) for the package, and will ship EMS express from my home in Portugal at no cost to the buyer. (The aforementioned one that sold recently on the forum did not include these extras, and the asking price was slightly higher.)

Bank transfer preferred (U.S. or EU), but Paypal is possible.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 14, 2020
    orwell, valjoux72, YYTIN and 23 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 14, 2020

OHPF!

(For future reference, the secret to a quick sale is apparently to take nap! :D)

3. DRjre086 Dec 14, 2020

Certainly nothing to do with excellent condition and well priced examples :rolleyes:

Congrats on the quick sale, she’s a beauty!

A.harris, YYTIN, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 14, 2020

What a beautiful watch. While snoozing may be good for the seller, not so for prospective buyers :D

Tony C., DRjre086 and omegaswisst like this.
  5. Dan S Dec 14, 2020

I can't believe you still have the outer box. I was happy just to have the inner with mine.

grand_seiko3.jpg
    grand_seiko.jpg

A.harris, YYTIN, DRjre086 and 5 others like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 14, 2020

Damn! Should of sold it to you and maximized my profits. :D

apsm100 and Dan S like this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2020

WHAT TONY..... ?!!!

I have to dig mine out of the vault....

Good hunting
    Bill

apsm100 and Syrte like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 16, 2020

Sold! Thanks to the buyer, and, as always, the owners and moderators of the forum.

YYTIN likes this.