Forums Latest Members
  1. Pustefix Sep 30, 2018

Hello fellow OF-Members,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and doing my (initial) homework on what to pay attention to when looking for vintage Omegas (a huge thank you to all contributors; you are doing amazing work for newbies like me).

I have now decided that it is time to test the waters and see what ebay and others have to offer.
    However, in order to maximize my learning experience I kindly would like to request your support.

I've been eyeing this beautiful Genève with blue dial for a couple of days now:
    https://www.ebay.ch/itm/Vintage-Ome..._trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The most obvious question for me is whether or not (and if so, to what extent) this piece is overpriced?
    To me it seems to be in excellent condition. However, I have some reservation as to the condition of the lume, which seem to have be re-lumed, given the lack of visible patina/wear.

Any other aspects that I am missing?

What do you guys think about this piece in general?

Thank you so much for your support!

Omega 1.PNG Omega 2.PNG
  2. S.H. Sep 30, 2018

It is not in excellent condition. As the seller honestly stated, the dial is scratched. I also hope all this dust is outside the plexi, not on the dial. The plexi is generic, and scratched? There are rotor marks inside, the problem may have been taken care of during servicing. Lugs may be overpolished, but I'm not too sure about this. Also, I don't like the "make an offer" thingy: either he's a pro and knows the value of his work (and stands behind it, this has a cost), or he isn't.

Check the references on this guy?

3. Davidt Sep 30, 2018

Lume looks original to me.

It's seen some polishing and is overpriced by around 200 (I sold a better one, complete with period Omega strap and buckle a year or so ago for about £500).

Edited Sep 30, 2018
  4. ConElPueblo Sep 30, 2018

It all looks good re. originality (the crown could be a replacement? not a big deal either way), but it is somewhat polished and fairly optimistically priced. I wouldn't expect to pay more than roughly half of the asking price in an auction.

The lume plots look good and the blue dial isn't flaking, so that's a positive :)

5. Davidt Sep 30, 2018

That's important with these. This blue paint from the 70's was prone to flaking where it came into contact with tritium so many of these dials have severe degradation around the lume.

Samir likes this.
  6. Pustefix Oct 4, 2018

Thank you such much for the prompt feedback. Guess I still have a lot of learning to do. I would have missed the polishing on the lugs entirely.
    It is absolutely wonderful to see the amount of knowledge and willingness to share it on here. I'll be sure to contribute.

7. Rochete Oct 4, 2018

Overpriced by 300€ minimum, IMO.