Forums Latest Members

Vintage Factory Replacement Parts and Impact on Value

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

While I know the general impact that new factory replacement parts have on a watch, what is the impact of vintage factory replacement parts?

I mainly collect Rolex, and know that if you have a tritium RSC dial and hands with patina on a Sub (for example a 5512), the value may drop from $10k to $8k, but if it is a lumi dial and hands, it will drop to $5-6k.

In the Omega world, what are the general feelings of older tritium replacement dials with appropriate patina?

For example, what impact does a correct painted logo tritium service dial have on a model that originally had an applied logo (i.e. 105.012)?

2. wwhntr Dec 4, 2015

For me, a painted logo vintage tritium dial on a 105.012 Speedmaster that should have an applied logo dial would decrease value about $750-1000, and would not be acceptable. I'd rather have an original 70-80% dial. A fair comparison in the world of Rolex might be a vintage tritium service dial on a sub or GMT that should have a gilt dial? Just my 2 cents.

3. abrod520 Dec 4, 2015

Seconded, this is a big no-no. Especially as I believe there are applied logo service dials out there (there certainly seem to be for pre-Professional dials). This would make me suspect there was more afoot; it could be a 145.022 with a 321 and caseback

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

On Speedy 101, he says that there are factory replacement 321 painted logo tritium service dials. Is this not true?

Also, wouldn't an applied logo tritium service dial look like an original dial? How would you be able to tell?

Can you tell the difference between a 145.022 case and a 105.012 case?

5. wwhntr Dec 4, 2015

The inside case back markings is about the only difference unless it's a flat lug CB manufactured case.

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

I am not talking about the newer replacement dials, but rather the ones shown on Speedy101 321 Replacement Dials page http://speedmaster101.com/blog/calibre-321-service-dials/

So if a watch has a S 105.012 65 HF caseback, then there is no way to tell if it is mated to a 145.022 case--correct?

7. abrod520 Dec 4, 2015

There are, but there are also applied-logo service dials. An applied-logo service dial from the tritium era would likely not reduce the value much, but a painted logo service dial would as it's not the correct style. Generally, the dial is where the heart of value lies with a Speedmaster.

I'm not knowledgeable enough but many of the service dials I've seen have had later developments added in - such as the short indices, or nowadays, SuperLuminova. If it's an early-enough service dial (AML, tritium, long indices, proper wide-spaced " T SWISS MADE T ") there probably wouldn't be much difference!

Nope :) But I'd still wonder at the originality of the watch overall, if it were a 321 with a painted logo. I'm not a savvy-enough collector to be able to stomach the risk on something like that ;)

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

Well, I bought a 105.012-65 HF case Speedy with serial appropriate cal.321 movement. It has a painted logo tritium service dial, incorrect 861 second hand, replaced bezel and incorrect pushers. The dial has a very pleasing patina, and the movement looks to be in amazing condition, resets to zero, and supposedly keeps great time. The case is a wild card, as it has been polished, and I could not tell by the pics what extent.

I already spoke with my watchmaker, and correct pushers are not an issue, as well as the second hand--I will just have to get it painted to match the patina. If the case is not toast, I may look into getting back to close as factory as possible.

It is a bit of gamble, but based on what I have in it, worst case scenario, I will just replace the pushers and wear it is a beater.

Once I get it and take better pics, I will post. Thanks for the info.

9. abrod520 Dec 4, 2015

Well in the present condition you describe it's not an investment watch, but if you enjoy wearing it it shouldn't matter whether or not it's all-original etc.

However, the -65 is a great watch, and with enough time and energy you could get it back to original setup.I'd say it's worth holding onto, and picking up the parts wherever you find them over time. They will appear; those parts aren't as rare as some others are.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 4, 2015

In that state - it's really a parts watch with the value IMO <50% of an all original example. Might be 50% if you can get omega certification that the cal. 321 movement correctly matches with the 105.012 case because given the number of parts replaced the movement could very well have come from a seamaster chronograph.

11. wwhntr Dec 4, 2015

Can you post any of the sellers pictures?

12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

The $125 for a cert makes sense on this one for sure, and I hadn't even thought of that.

Based on what I paid, no matter what it turns out to be, I will be sitting pretty.

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

Edited Dec 4, 2015
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 4, 2015

Listed as a 3510.50? Nice catch!

Did you get any other pics aside from what's on the listing?

15. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

Just the other ones that he sent me of the
    Movt and caseback

16. wwhntr Dec 4, 2015

17. abrod520 Dec 4, 2015

I say throw money at it. It's an absolute howler that it was listed as a 3510 (and priced accordingly!). This was a really nice pick and considering your level of investment so far, and the importance of the model, I think it'd be worth it to "restore" it (with original vintage parts).

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 4, 2015

I paid a lot less than the BIN price, and based on the fact that I can sell the bracelet for $200 or so, my cost basis will be very attractive, leaving a lot of room to hunt for the correct parts.

Great to know about the pushers, and will let y'all know what my watchmaker says.

19. wwhntr Dec 4, 2015

Before I paid $125 for archive I would see if case requires drive in or screw in pushers.

Someone here please correct me if I'm wrong about both drive in and screw in pushers being used on this reference!