Forums Latest Members

FS Vintage ETERNA Radium Dial Automatic – Great Value!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 25, 2020

Here's a nice ETERNA full-rotor automatic from the mid-'50s. It is in very good condition overall, and with the probable exception of the crystal, likely original.

The dial is patinated, but in an attractive way, to my eye. It is a sort of warm, light golden color, but it changes depending on the lighting. I have taken photos both in direct sunlight and shade to give readers a feel for the differences. This is, to my eye, one of the more interesting dial variations that ETERNA used during the mid-century. The indexes, as you can see in the photos, are inverted triangles, with the exception of 3, 6, 9 and 12. With the exception of the 12, those are comprised by three dots the closest to the minute/second track being radium, and the outer two metal. The truncated hands include a second hand with an iconic, red enamel tip. These were employed frequently by ETERNA during the period, and I like them very much both as a contrasting design cue, and for practical purposes (i.e. they are easy to follow).

The screw-back case is all steel, and measures 33mm excluding the crown. It features attractive chamfered lugs, which were used on a number of ETERNA models from that period. There are some mostly light scratches on the back. I believe that it has probably seen a light polish at some stage, but the serial number on the back can still be easily read.

The caliber 1246 dates to 1954, and, while working properly, would certainly benefit from a service. These early ETERNA automatic movements are deeply embedded in the DNA of many of today's excellent ETA movements. The company's breakthrough ball-bearing rotor design was a fantastic success, and these movements were undoubtedly among the best mass-produced automatic calibers of the period.

Here's a vintage advertisement for a date version of slight variation on the same basic model (note that you can discern the same indexes and chamfered lugs):

[​IMG]

I bought this one many years ago in the U.S., and will be happy to let it go for $385 (or EUR equivalent), including regular tracked shipping from my home in Portugal. However, I would recommend paying a bit extra for EMS if you live in the U.S., as Customs continues to be very slow these days. PayPal or bank transfer accepted.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apsm100, ahsposo, valjoux72 and 11 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 27, 2020

bump!