Forums Latest Members

vintage el primero lovers

1. jsaen May 30, 2015

For all you vintage el primero lovers, do you also have the modern takes on them?

For instance, if you have the A386, do you also have the El Primero Original 1969? Or any of the other re-editions?

I have no Zentih, and right now I want too many :)

2. papaebetu May 30, 2015

Vintage only here ;)

GIGI

E-diddy and luzer like this.
  3. jsaen May 30, 2015

I find that interesting. As I'm planning on buying vintage El Primero and as I'm seeing the price continue to rise on them, I'd be nervous about wearning one all the time. So I'd be tempted to buy a modern one just to wear to remind me of the vintage.

Or is that just expensive :)

4. papaebetu May 30, 2015

Vintage is a passion yes, but is hard and strong to have the money for buy a great watch, vintage OR reedition.
    Maybe for the first, some months ago, the value can be more hight OR the same; I don't think for a reedition...

GIGI

5. nicolas07 May 31, 2015

I fully agree with GIGI.
    Nothing better than the first and original edition.
    However, I bought a Chronomaster Open Power Reserve back in 2012 and I am now selling it.
    For me, modern watches were the entry point into this world but then I found knowledge and researches much more interesting than just buying something that I know I can find plenty of them in shops.
    For an A386, you never really know where you will find one ;)

6. Bienne2998 May 31, 2015

For me the same. modern watches were the start. Today I focus on vintage...
    however I do have both - but having a A386 is much more pleasure than the Striking 10th - even if it's a cool watch 2015-04-14 12.22.48.jpg

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 31, 2015

I have my first zenith arriving tomorrow. I went for Vintage for my first one, a first gen De Luca. It's a little but of an add ball with a divers rotating bezel in addition to the tachometer and with no El Primero leyendo. Im very curious how it will wear

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 31, 2015

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2015

Me too! Every time I see those I want them.

10. Bienne2998 May 31, 2015

@ LouS & DSIO

Just walk in a Zenith official dealer's boutique and ask..... that's what I did - well I told them with watery eyes that I have the Striking 10th and would be so happy to have them....:)
    and then they ordered them from Le Locle and handed them out to me for free!

(I first saw them on the web - I think Zenith offered them to clients when they opened a Zenith boutique in the near east two years ago)

@ LouS - Maybe you could walk in with your gigantic el primero (the one you let your cat play with) - i am sure they would be so impressed they ordered the cuff links immediately for you ;)

11. jsaen May 31, 2015

Right, that's what I assumed. But which one do you wear more?

12. Bienne2998 May 31, 2015

Since my interest switched to vintage - I wear the vintage watches much more. 5 years ago - I hat the feeling a watch had to be at least 42 mm in diameter.... now these modern watches seem all too big and shiny ("bling bling") and I love to wear the watches with 36 to 39 in diameter and find their size perfect. Especially when wearing shirt and suit - they fit perfectly (see WRUW).

In addition I like patina - but only a slight hint of patina (I do not like the heavy patinated (almost degenerated) dials. These vintage dials look warm. On the other side the (shiny) modern watches seem to be too perfect and feel "cold" and missing real character.

nicolas07, mappleluna and Mick Tock like this.
  13. E-diddy May 31, 2015

Vintage all the way. I wear mine at least once or twice a week (it's part of my main rotation). I buy to wear :)

14. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 1, 2015

Ive only one Zenith but given a choice between vintage and modern, vintage nearly always wins

image.jpg
    Bienne2998, LouS and Veritas99 like this.