Forums Latest Members

Vintage dress omega. Inherited watch. Looking for educational info.

1. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 13, 2016

Hello guys. My friend in collge just inherited his grandfathers watch as a graduation gift. He came up to me because he saw my vintage speedy and thought i would know about his watch but i dont. Not very familiar with dress watches. He just wants to know if its all original what model is it. Ball park of year as well. Sorry guys dont have movement pic so ball park info with these two pics would be greatly appreciated. Hes not trying to sell so he doesnt care about value. He just wants history. Thanks once again guys.

Gregory

image.png image.png
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 13, 2016

Yes, it appears to be original. It is an early (i.e. late '40s early '50s) "bumper" automatic. You can do a search for "bumper" and "full rotor" automatic watches to learn more.

Nice watch, though obviously requires a replacement (winding and setting) crown, and the condition of the movement is a question mark.

Cheers,

Tony C.

Noles_88 likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

Almost certainly a US made solid 14K or gold filled case. Band is non-omega and aftermarket, but matches the style very well.

Very common combination at that time.
    gatorcpa

Noles_88 likes this.
  4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 13, 2016

Thank you very much guys. Are parts hard to find for these. He wants to know? @gatorcpa @Tony C.

5. DON Apr 13, 2016

Some movement parts are available. Some discontinued, but can be found on Ebay or sales corner.

Might be able to find a crown on Ebay. Supplier sell plated crowns and they won't match the case. Many Ebay sellers sell NOS crowns which are also plated.

Need to find older gold filled

Need to search and find a simlar cased styled watch (steel or gold) to see the type of crown is needed.

Will also need a new winding stem

DON

Noles_88 likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

A good watchmaker should know where to go for parts. A lot depends on the reference number. Jules Borel carries parts for some of the American made cases.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gold-filled vs. plated crown. Just so long as they are the right gold color, the right size and fit the case properly.

I'd rather have a new one that's slightly different from the original than none at all.
    gatorcpa

Noles_88 likes this.
  7. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 13, 2016

Thank you very much for the help and information. :)

Gregory. @gatorcpa @DON