Forums Latest Members
  1. mjgt Feb 14, 2016

Hi, new to the forum and am after a little help straight away.
    I have a vintage constellation which my mother bought for my father in 1962. I own the watch now but cannot find anything about it on the net. As you can see it's not of the "pie pan" type and has the cross hairs on it but no date window. The Omega official site offers no help so I though I would try here. Can anyone tell me what year it was made and what the specific number is, there are no numbers on it anywhere, the back is a snap on type and the watch is waterproof, the nearest picture I can find shows it to be about 1957 vintage.

IMG_0785.JPG
    GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2016

While it is probably a Stainless 2852 with a 505 caliber movement, we need a photo of the inside of the back and a picture of the movement as the watch could be older than the purchase date.

Very nice honest watch. Get it serviced (not by Omega) and it will last a long time.

Why not Omega? Because they will charge a lot and may change things that will decrease the value and appearance.

chronos likes this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 14, 2016

Welcome mj
    Nice backstory
    More pics please

4. mjgt Feb 15, 2016

Thanks for your help, looks like it is a 2852 with a 505 movement, any idea of the year of manufacture?
    Can you recommend a good reliable repair centre near Bristol?

IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2016

Show us the serial number on the movement and we will tell you the age.

6. Interstellar Feb 15, 2016

Ooh..very nice. Congrats on inheriting such a sweet watch!

7. Kja Feb 15, 2016

Gorgeous! And dibs if you ever want to sell!!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 15, 2016

Bristol in England, Tennessee or Connecticut?

We're from all over the world here.
    gatorcpa

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 15, 2016

Don't forget Bristol, Virginia

ahartfie likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 15, 2016

The racetrack is on the TN side of the border.

That's the part that counts!
    gatorcpa

arkstfan likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2016

In the OP's case we are talking Bristol on Avon, UK
    It is located betwixt Somerset and Gloucestershire.

12. Kja Feb 15, 2016

I think the op should be told how special his watch is.. And not to polish the perfect case, separate from its original bracelet.. Yada yada. Seriously, is really nice, and harder and harder to find Connie's like this Sooo don't just give it away for cheap or let anybody service it. That bracelet more than makes up for it not being a true pie pan, and the arrowhead markers are beautiful! Your mother has great taste.

arkstfan likes this.
  13. mjgt Feb 15, 2016

Thanks very much for all comments, I live outside Bristol UK.
    If you like this watch you might like my 1987 speedmaster MK5 with the lamania movement.

14. Kja Feb 15, 2016

Well it really reminds mine of mine a lot. Mine is slightly more worn but I really love the mix of stainless steel and gold and have always just had a thing for the late 50's constellation's design.

15. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 15, 2016

I'm pretty sure that I like this one better. :)

16. mjgt Feb 19, 2016

Can anyone recommend a good watch smith to service my watch in the UK, preferably near Bristol?

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 19, 2016

apologies mjgt -I meant to respond - you asked this before and got a geography lesson instead

I'm told there is a guy called Rocco in Bristol who does good work
    I've never used him so can't give a recommendation

a lot of us post our watches to different watchmakers in the UK (or in my case from Dubai to the UK and back again)
    you just have to pack them carefully.....

In the UK the members often recommend:
    STS (expensive but very good apparently) -Essex
    @stefan (an OF member) don't know location -not used him but gets good reviews from members
    Watchguy - Woodchester, Gloucester - not too far from Bristol (I think the guys there are also OF members)-this is who I use and they have done great work on a half a dozen Connies and and couple of other vintage watches (Omega, Tissot) this past year for me
    If you check out the BHI site they have recommended watchmakers -from memory there is a least 1 other in Bristol who handle vintage watches
    hope that helps
    Philip

18. ConElPueblo Feb 19, 2016

Gets my recommendation as well.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 19, 2016

did you find the serial number to date the watch ?
    here is a link to date info

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-articles/omega/omega-serial-numbers-by-year/

let us know what you find
    do you have a pic of the medallion?

re service
    I can't see any service marks in the case back -and there is some slight rubbing from the rotor -so it does need a service before you wear your watch
    instructions should be to do no more than clean the case -no polishing! (the scratches on the case are your father's history)
    full movement service
    use only genuine Omega parts
    the lightest of brushing to remove any dust from the dial (no cleaning)
    retain the crown if at all possible (its the Seamaster variant but often seems to appear on Connies -so could easily be original)

I can't tell if the crystal is scratched (most likely) -you can get new Omega crystals with the Omega logo in the centre -not too expensive (£50) and well worth it -if the current crystal isn't original (or even if it is) a new one makes all the difference to how the watch looks
    (ask for all of the replaced serviced parts to be returned -all good watchmakers should do this automatically )

Philip

20. mjgt Feb 19, 2016

The only number I could see was 2852 6 52. The back was a real bugger to get back on before I realised the picture I had was crap so I don't really want to remove it again until it's serviced.