Forums Latest Members

Vintage Chronographs - Redial or not? Help me spot them out...

1. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

I'm aware that there have been any Frankens/Fakes - I'm quite new to the scene... what do you think of this watch..?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 3, 2017

Give us your first thoughts.

What do you think of the dial?

Elaborate.

3. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

I can see some oxidation marks above 6 and around 5.

Upon closer inspection I can see that the lines for the seconds and minute markers do not fall within the circle...

Is it a redial..?

Also the subdial fonts are inconsistent with the main dial...

Edited Jan 3, 2017
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

That thing has REDIAL written all over it.... In THICK lettering.
    It is really one of the poorer redials I have seen in a while.

hermes4 likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2017

Redial

Do your homework on vintage Ulysse and then do it again then get someone to check it.

hermes4 likes this.
  6. Edward53 Jan 3, 2017

I feel the OP's pain here as I find chrono redials a lot harder to tell than other watches and some are very good indeed (but not this one). The most obvious giveaway (and N-man has posted it while I was typing) is the heavy, blurry lettering. It looks clumsy and undefined, and the dial looks generally "wrong" with no sheen, all dead and flat which you wouldn't expect in a quality chrono. In the first pic there are hints of discoloration below the unmarked dial finish. Also the movement does not look all that clean but the dial is pristine, which is always a bit suspicious as you want to see consistency of condition in a watch.

Some chronos just sing out correct, others sing out redial. It's the ones in between that cause the difficulty. If you are doubting a dial, that's your mind telling you to leave it alone.

7. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

Take a look at the subdial print.
    It is not aligned and creeps up onto the edge of the depression. Especially noticeable on the right subdial (min counter).
    Also the overall inconsistency of fonts, lines and dots really gives it away.
    I have recently had a watch "redialed" myself. Here is my write-up.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ch30-yes-its-a-redial-i-did-it.49245/

Not perfect, but IMO one of the better ones. It is at least wearable after it was completed.
    Still looking for an original though.........

hermes4 likes this.
  8. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

Wow I have so much to learn... I wish I could be that sharp and tell right away if something was a redial... I'll post a few more...

But some chronos the subdial fonts are different from the rest of the watch especially the second subdial... I noticed this in Omega?

9. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

Ok what about these ones? :) just ordered watch but I think I got the watch bug bad!!

See what I mean by the Omega... I'm sure that's the original dial?

I quite like the Jaegers - what do you think of Jaeger Chronos?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Davidt Jan 3, 2017

Come on old chap, you can't seriously expect to just post pictures of a load of dials asking "are these original?".

Do your own research, comparing like for like against one another and read through the countless threads on various redials on this forum to get you started. Then when you find one or two you're considering, post pictures along with your thoughts about a specific dial.

cristos71 and Northernman like this.
  11. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

I think they are the better ones that I have seen but I think the Zenith one is the most original...

Ok I'll stop posting... I think I need a break from this obsession.

12. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

I need to ask a burning question though.... can any one restore a dial?

And improve its aesthetical value - like not touch the dials/fonts but remove marks etc but not be crucified for doing so?

Because I do like my dials clean and neat...

13. Davidt Jan 3, 2017

I'm not saying "stop posting" at all. Far from it.

What I'm suggesting is you read up on the many threads already started on this forum as they'll help get you started. There was a thread about restoring/cleaning dials only a few weeks ago.

14. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

@Davidt3449, ok I will go dig in the archives - apparently if restoration is done tastefully can enhance value...

What about tasteful redialling? Or that is a no-go area in the watch collecting world.

15. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

Restorarion deteriorates value in 99% or more of the attempts.
    Collectors are after originality, originality, originality.

Darlinboy and hermes4 like this.
  16. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

17. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

hermes4 likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2017

Here are my quick opinions:

1. Omega DeVille - Original dial
    2. Leonidas - not sure, but lean towards redial as the sub-dials are not perfectly centered.
    3. Jaeger #1 - Original, has Universal Compax movement inside. Should also say "Enversteel" inside caseback.
    4. Zenith - Printing fuzzy, but it could be the photo. Might need to see in person to determine.
    5. Jaeger #2 - Lean towards original, but seems almost too clean.

This is not easy.
    gatorcpa

hermes4 likes this.
  19. hermes4 Jan 3, 2017

Thanks gatorcpa - I really like both the Jaegers! I'll post more pics of them for you. But these are kinda like my chronographs short list... you are right about the Enversteel - wow :)

The second Jaeger has very clean movements too... I kinda want a Universal but I think I might settle for a Jaeger Chrono... The steel one is kinda cool.

I also came across a UN who the dealer told me that it uses a Valjoux 23 movement for a 1970s watch is that possible? Maybe he meant a Val 72? Anyway my intuition tells me it's genuine other than the tachymeter fonts?

Click if interested:
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/ulyssen...m=app&utm_source=ios-app&utm_campaign=sharing

20. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

V23 and V72 are not new/old. The V23 has 2 subdials, whereas the V72 also has got an hour recorder (three sub-dials).
    Seller obviously mistaking.
    Have no idea if it is genuine or not. I do not have any information on UN from this period.

hermes4 likes this.