Forums Latest Members
  1. shy06002 Jul 3, 2016

In general regard for vintage watches and their overall condition throughout the years, what is the expectation when it comes to the performance of the movement?

Is it expected that most old chronographs don't function 100% properly?

Should you be using the chronograph on a vintage watch?

Do you have the function of the chronograph into consideration when purchasing vintage chronos?

2. ErikR Jul 3, 2016

Often, very often -i see vintage movements perform better than newer ones. Might be that more time went into adjusting the watches back in the day.

Also, when purchasing a vintage watch, i always service it. A fully serviced vintage watch is, regarding technical integrity, just as good as a new one.

In my humble opinion:)

Baz9614 and nsumner like this.
  3. nsumner Jul 3, 2016

I use all of my vintage chronographs. There's no reason they shouldn't function properly.

red crowned and Baz9614 like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2016

Would you drive a car but never use the air conditioning?

Would you cook on the stove top but never use the oven?

red crowned likes this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

Shy, these are frankly strange questions. Is someone trying to sell you a broken watch and tell you that it is OK?

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 3, 2016

According to a past post you used to hide your watches in the oven :eek:

ulackfocus likes this.
  7. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 3, 2016

I think a lot of the pleasure in owning watches (and clocks) is in having them in working order as well as looking great. I would feel very uneasy about having a chrono in a drawer knowing that it was not 100% functional.

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 3, 2016

I have 5 chronographs older than 1969 that work perfectly and keep time within +/- 10 secs a day. I would totally obsess (and history proves this) if they didn't.

Baz9614 likes this.
  9. shy06002 Jul 3, 2016

Let's just say it's not working as expected and I'm confirming my argument. :)

10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 3, 2016

If I bought a watch from a seller, vintage or not, and all functions didn't work 100% correctly (besides water-resistance), I would be disappointed, and I would let them know right away.

As for time-keeping, it seems to be fairly common that a 50+ year-old watch not recently serviced might be up to +/- 2 minutes/day.

11. novina Jul 3, 2016

If a vintage watch does not work as it should, something needs to be fixed. Perhaps just a service, sometimes more. If I bought a watch from someone claiming recent service, sure like that happened, and all functions working and they did not. Than I have reason to return due to its not as advertised status. Unless a movement has been totally abused, which most are more likely just forgotten about, than it should work.

12. shy06002 Jul 3, 2016

So I purchased a vintage chronograph and the chronograph was described as working 100%, recently serviced.

After receiving the watch I found out that the chrono stops after 4-5 hours so it's safe to assume that it needs a service. I let the seller know right away and at first they said to send it back and they'll have it serviced by their watchmaker OR check with my local watchmaker and they'll split the cost.

Next day the seller let me know that there has been a change of plans. There is another buyer interested in the watch, so basically send it back for a full refund or take it as it is.

Point is I want the watch, however I expected it to be functioning 100%. At first the seller offered to cover some of the service but recineded that offer since it seems he found another buyer.

Their argument it seems is that delivery could affect performance and that vintage chronographs are erratic in performance so I should not expect fully functionality. Oh well, doesn't seem as if I have a choice but to keep it

13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 3, 2016

Figure about $700 to $800 US for an overhaul of a typical chronograph.

Is the watch unique? Are you willing to spend that kind of money on THAT piece. Often there are more examples out there - some worse and some better...

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 3, 2016

Oh, this sounds like one dick-head of a seller!::rant:

He tells you one thing, then says he has another seller, so send it back? Probably BS.

I would definitely send it back for a full refund and be done with this jerk, unless you got a great deal... if he did seem honest, I would have chosen to let his WM fix it at his cost, but he seems much too shady....

Alternatively, I might have my own WM take a peak first to see if it might be a simple and cheap fix.

I'd be quite leery of further dishonest shenanigans even sending it back... I do hope you paid by PayPal or at least credit card...

15. shy06002 Jul 3, 2016

Unfortunately it was seems like it was a fellow OF member. I assume I got a good deal but it's hard to gauge that. I definitely love and intend on keeping the watch due to its condition but I'm little bummed at the behavior of the seller. It seems he blocked me on Instagram (Original point of contact)

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2016

Might just need a new paperclip

17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 3, 2016

crying-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 3, 2016

I began thinking fondly ::puke:: of that story when I heard Shy's... wondering if it's the same seller?