Forums Latest Members
  1. Caliber561 Jun 3, 2019

Does anyone know the story behind the soft metal gaskets in vintage Omegas?
    From what I have observed, they seem to come both in watches that have lived their lives in the States and elsewhere, so I think they probably originally came from Omega.
    In any case, the questions I'd like to ask are:
    - Does anyone know why Tin gaskets were used, and
    - Does anyone know where to get a nice, rubber gasket for a 2652;)

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some service logs from watchguy.co.uk that show the subject of my question.
    http://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=680
    http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-seamaster-calibre-352-2/

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 3, 2019

I would bet soft metal was used because a lot of the soft plastics available at the time were short lived, unreliable and prone to reacting with damn near anything they came in contact with and turning to mush.

In the case of my 47 Tudor, I’m pretty sure said soft metal is lead.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 3, 2019

x2 on @Fritz statement it is likely lead and not tin. Lead is soft and easily conforms, while tin is more brittle and would be a poor material choice for a gasket. The second blog link you cite (I did not check the first) also indicates the gasket was lead.

Now you just need a part number for a rubber gasket. Hopefully someone while chime in with some info to help you with that.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 3, 2019

If a watch is old enough to have worn a lead seal, the grooves for said seal are likely corroded enough to prevent the average seal from ever working well. My old Tudor Oyster is so bad at keeping itself dry that I’m considering getting it a diaper.

Or perhaps drilling a 1/4” hole in the back so water can get out more easily.

5. Caliber561 Jun 3, 2019

I initially thought that the gasket was lead as well, but after examining one of the gaskets I have, it's apparently far too light to be lead, unless there are some significant impurities added.

Anyways, I am still searching for a proper rubber gasket. Does @Archer know what is typically used during service for these?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2019

Seal is part 088NS0009.

Caliber561 likes this.