SM 300 vintage.JPG
  2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 9, 2013

I would like the case just to have it but as for the rest no thank you

3. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 9, 2013

Respectable Member Kringkily

Definitely you know your subject, well.

Thank-you.

4. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

At least the seller is honest about assembling that franken.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 9, 2013

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Agree, not many are this honest any longer, especially amongst eBayers.

It is interesting to wait and see, what the response for such a franken is going to be like.

Thank-you.

6. MyVintageOmega Jun 9, 2013

All in all ..........a no-go zone!

7. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 9, 2013

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I am with you, no purist will go near it.

Thank-you.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 10, 2013

There's already 8 people bidding with GBP 1020, 6 days BEFORE end date. Interesting to see how this will end compare to the genuine and watchco.
    I think one important factor why people 'accept' franken Seamaster 300 is watchco popularity in recent years.
    That's the reality of the market.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 10, 2013

Respectable Member Privateday7

Most of the purists are forum members here or elsewhere. There are many thousands of others who are not forum members. They are either not too particular about factory-originality or just ignorant about the authenticity of a particular vintage-watch, not only the SM 300 diver. As a result of this, the con-artists are still enjoying a roaring trade. These unscrupulous elements are not worried about the 'crazy' people like us, since this population of ours is relatively small.

Thank-you.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2013

It is pleasing to see though that the seller has divulged all in this case.
    At least the buyers know what they're getting (if they bother to read the description).

I agree it isn't for the collector, but for the MITS (Man In The Street) it's "prolly a good catch" .

And to Respectable Member Seamonster.

I would not call it a franken. A franken is to my understanding, a bunch of parts jammed into a case that is intended to mislead a buyer into thinking they are getting something that is genuine, but in reality "aint quite right". As I said before, this watch has full disclosure.

Cheers

Jim

11. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Hi! Just thought I would say hello and confirm this is my watch that I built, I have not tried to say the watch is any other than a watch built by myself, I hope that has come across in my eBay listing, I do not want to fool anyone into thinking the watch is anything other than a authentic Omega military case with authentic Omega parts added afterwards. I understand your view that the watch is not for the purist, I wish it was all original, I did try find the original movement and dial but the person I bought the case from did not know what had happened to the original items.
    I did put the build on the TZ UK watch forum so never had any plans to pass this watch off as a original. See here>
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?263430-Watch-fiished!-Real-Omega-seamaster-300-military-case
    Cheers Mick

Privateday7 and watchyouwant like this.
  12. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And for you Omega fans here are some of my old Omega watches, no Franken's though!
    I have lurked on this forum before so hope to become a more frequent member.
    All the best Mick

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2013

Welcome Mick, nice little collection, I'm sure you'll fit right in here.

I can almost here the dibs calls on a couple of your babies ;-)

Cheers

Jim

14. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 10, 2013

Respectable Member michael e

On behalf of other respectable members of this forum, I welcome you and hopefully you will stay with us, so that we can share your expertise, perseverance and painstaking effort in producing such a beautiful watch from scratch, virtually.

Unfortunately, most of the respectable members here are indeed fastidious about the factory-originality of any vintage-watch, especially more the SM 300 and we appreciate your honesty. There are no allegations or remarks to say, you are trying to deceive any of your potential buyers, unlike some eBayers. Your integrity is respected by all respectable forum members here. Generally, the subject of franken is touched-upon in this thread and though it is a classic-looking piece, I am afraid most purists, if not all, will shun it.

Whatever, it is hoped your listing will be a success. Hopefully too, all the effort expended pays. Last but not least, we wish your watch will find a good home.

Thank-you.

15. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Thanks Jim.
    All my Omega collection was sold over the last year, once I get a good cash flow going I will start to hoard vintage speedmasters again.
    I had a nice speedmaster collection a few years ago and want to start again once more funds are in place.
    Here is a pic of my hoard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I fancied a Harley Davidson so sold the lot, the thing is prices of the 321s have rightfully doubled since then so I better get saving.
    Cheers Mick

Privateday7, Dash1 and watchyouwant like this.
  16. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 10, 2013

Respectable Member JiminOz

I understand and appreciate where you are coming from. The word 'franken' is interpreted differently by most vintage-watch lovers.

'What would you consider a franken?' was asked by a member of another established forum and these are the opinions, we got.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=299641&highlight=franken

Thank-you.

17. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Thank you seamonster.
    I fully agree with you about the purist, nothing wrong with that, I am like that myself when collecting vintage watches.
    The thing I wanted to achieve with this watch more than anything else is to have fun building it and also give the case a new lease of life, making a bit of money in the process is of course a very welcome bonus. I was more than happy to publish the numbers on the case back so unless the original movement and dial is found the watch will not be used to fool anyone in the future. The person who had this watch before me had a couple of other empty British military cases like Buren and Vertex for sale but I don't think he knew of the rarity of the SM300 military case, I did give him a very good cash incentive to find the original movement/dial but have not hear back from him. :-(
    Anyway it is good to join this forum and I hope to learn more and maybe add a little knowledge too.
    Cheers Mick

18. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 10, 2013

Respectable Member michael e

I appreciate your response and I am sure, respectable forum members here will appreciate your presence, too.

All the babies, including me, enjoy this forum very much because we can ask about just anything under the sun. The respectable big guns here appear to have all the answers at their disposal.

I appreciate your sharing your past collections and hopefully, you will also share with us your future acquisitions.

One more time, good luck in your listing and hopefully, your beauty will find a good home, loved and cherished forever.

Thank-you.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2013

I recognise that 18K Rose gold Omega Calibre 33.3, it sold for about $40,000 if memory serves me, on ebay last year!

Very cool, do you still have it or did you sell it? I definitely recognise the last watch from Hoi's collection!

20. michael e Still learning. Jun 10, 2013

Hi. Yes I sold the cal 33.3 last year, probably the rarest Omega I will ever own.
    Cheers Mick