Forums Latest Members
  1. RandyOmega Apr 11, 2019

I would appreciate any information on this recently inherited Omega Automatic Seamaster. It was purchased in 1953 in New York by my mother as a gift for her father. After his death, it was worn by my father for many years. As you can see from its condition in the attached photos, it was worn daily for most of the past 60 plus years. It runs fine despite likely never having been serviced. Omega01.JPG Omega02.JPG Omega03.JPG Omega04.JPG From the steel caseback and lugs, I assume that the watch is "gold-capped". I love the watch because of its family history but would like to know more about it. I would appreciate any information about model number, caliber, etc. Thanks so much!

2. COYI Apr 11, 2019

You need to take it to a watchmaker to open the case as the case reference will be on the inside of the back. Take a clear photo of that and the movement.

As it obviously has lots of sentimental value you should get it serviced by a reputable independent watchmaker if you want to wear it. Even if it runs ok the oils will be dry and the parts will get worn out and replacement parts are expensive.

To me it looks like it has a bumper movement like a cal. 354. You're right in thinking it is gold capped as opposed to solid gold. At some point the dial has been repainted.The crown and hands look correct and you should check to see if the crystal has a very small Omega logo etched into it in the centre.

Edited Apr 11, 2019
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 11, 2019

As noted above, it's a redial, which is a shame from a value POV. This suggests it was serviced at least once, rather too thoroughly for modern desires unfortunately.

RandyOmega likes this.
  4. RandyOmega Apr 12, 2019

Thanks so much for the info. What is the tip-off that the dial has been repainted? It may be hard to tell from the photos, but the dial certainly has some "patina". If it was serviced and the dial replaced, it would have to have been at least twenty to thirty years ago (which makes sense since the watch would have been thirty plus years old by then).

5. connieseamaster Apr 12, 2019

The quality of the "Seamaster" text is the big tip off. It's a bit blotchy compared to a factory dial.

RandyOmega likes this.