Vintage 2505-6 Roman numerals

Posts
2
Likes
0
This watch was passed down to me from my father. He passed away in 1978 and the watch has been in safekeeping ever since. It keeps time flawlessly but exhibits the patina of a working man’s timepiece, as opposed to merely a fashion accessory. I intend to pass it forward to my son, however I’d like to include some idea of the identification, dating, restoration advice or even ballpark valuations. The Roman numerals seem to be rare for this model, and the face appears to be original, but perhaps the forum could shed more light on this as well. Thanks for your consideration.
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
Looks like a 37.5 mm sized case. Movement looks nice.

Dial is bad as is crystal. Can get a generic crystal. Dial can be refinished. Small second can be replaced (use blued steel). Hour and minute hands. Hard to tell condition from images.

Case needs a polish

Needs a bit of work if you want to put the money into it. Question is. Will your son want it?
 
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,756
Small second can be replaced (use blued steel)
I don´t think so. Blued seconds hand is not obligatory. The recent seconds hand is perfectly fine, has the perfect length.
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
I don´t think so. Blued seconds hand is not obligatory. The recent seconds hand is perfectly fine, has the perfect length.
Hi Mac,

It’s rusted. My old refinisher would replate hands and indexes in his refinishing. If the hands were to far gone. I would just replace them. Finding silver small seconds not easy and blue adds a nice contrast.

This one has small blued steel pocketwatch hands I fitted as the original were damaged.


 
Posts
2
Likes
0
Thanks for the input friends. I’m inclined towards leaving the condition intact, because I feel like there’s some imprint of my father contained therein. Do these pieces retain greater value when maintained in their “original “ condition versus restored examples with newer parts?