Forums Latest Members

FS Vintage '20s Hamilton Oval in green gold fill

1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2019

I am selling my green gf Oval with plain bezel, ca. late '20s. It's been in my collection for awhile. Keeping very good time, although it probably hasn't been serviced in awhile. The case measures about 29 mm in diameter (ex crown) and 38 mm from lug-to-lug (a good vintage size!). The dial is original AFAIK. I never wanted to have it refinished, despite the spotting and patina, because it's still quite presentable on the wrist, and you almost never see original dials in these with original lume. The case is in very good condition. Some brassing on the tops of the upper lugs, and some faint wear on the reverse of these (structurally these are quite sound; by the way, this was one of the first models to use curved spring bars; interlug space is 16 mm); on the wrist it looks great. The crown is an older replacement. The hands were relumed recently. The numbers match between the case back and movement spacer.

The included genuine lizard strap is gently used, but still has a lot of life left in it.

This is a relatively scarce model, as I'm sure some of you are aware. Only 791 were made with this case variation. The vintage ad is ca. 1927. Unusually, this model was never included in official dealer's catalogs, only in various advertisements.

Looking for $950 OBO (inclusive of domestic US priority mail shipping; overseas at cost; FedEx with parcel pro is possible). PayPal F&F or bank wire preferred (unless I know you personally). No returns, so please ask all questions up front.

Please ask any questions via PM.

Thanks!
    Adam

IMG_6030.jpg IMG_6031.jpg IMG_6033.jpg IMG_6035.jpg IMG_6036.jpg IMG_6026.jpg IMG_6027.jpg IMG_6029.jpg img010.jpg
    qboa, TexOmega, chronoboy64 and 5 others like this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 17, 2019

Adam you never cease to amaze with your stunning pieces, kind regards :thumbsup:

TexOmega and adam78 like this.
  3. TexOmega Jul 17, 2019

Never seen an Oval in the flesh. Fantastic condition.

My Cut Corner is a redial, just look at the wonky subdial.

Both are Killer dress watches.

7E0AEA2D-522C-47A3-AE84-D705B5FCB444.jpeg

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2019

And remember that these are 90+ year-old watches!

By the way, amongst Hamilton collectors, a redial, per se, is not the death-knell that it is with Swiss watches. First, the original dies still exist in most cases, and a good redial is still quite possible. Certain dials (e.g. those with hard-enamel markings and figures) can be refinished indistinguishable from original.

TexOmega likes this.
  5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 18, 2019

I appears to me the OP's dial is in fact engraved (not just printed) and the numerals and figures are filled with either paint or vitreous enamel (??). I have a Hamilton Tonneau of the same year that has a similarly made dial.

PS Strap looks cool!

6. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2019

Yes, the Oval dial markings were engraved into the metal of the dial, but filled with soft enamel or paint during the finishing process. The markings are thus removed during any refinishing (as opposed to the hard enamel dials I mentioned in my comment above).

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2019

Bump!