Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1970s Steel Longines SQUARE Ultra-Chron w/ Beautiful BLUE Dial

1. tomvox1 Dec 16, 2015

LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-lng copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-7 copy.jpg Up for sale is this great looking early 1970s Longines Ultra-Chron in all-stainless steel 2-piece water resistant snap together rectangular case. This stunning watch features a beautiful original and Near Mint blue sunburst dial with very cool stylized golden markers and Tritium luminous. This cool vintage Longines is in overall Excellent+ original condition and is powered by the terrific in-house caliber 431 hi-beat automatic movement with date complication. This is one of the larger of these Longines square “compressor” cased watches and measures a substantial 34 x 38, which is a very good sized rectangular watch. In fact, it looks a heck of a lot like a 3/4 sized Monaco!

The asking price for this unusual and striking Longines Ultra-Chron is $875 USD including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is also OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-3 copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-2 copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-8 copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-1A copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-4 copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-bk copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-crwn copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-sd copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-wrst copy.jpg LonginesUltraChronBlueSq-6 copy.jpg
    CASE & BEZEL: 2-piece snap-together water resistant stainless steel “compressor”-style case that was likely made by Piquerez, the same manufacturer of the iconic Heuer Monaco’s case. Very good presence in a large-wearing rectangular size of 34mm wide (not including crown) by 38mm long x about 12mm tall to the top of the crystal. The gently curving case sides exhibit sharp, wide chamfers and if the case has ever been polished it must have only been a light buffing. There are small marks from wear but nothing severe, Excellent + condition for a 40+-year-old watch. The back is dedication-free and also shows little if any polish, with sharp Ultra-Chron medallion and “Stainless Steel” nomenclature, as well as the case serial number visible and complete beneath the medallion. Another intriguing aspect of this case design is an extra set of springbars that sit below the ones that attach the strap — these are actually there to prevent accidental opening of the case. Very cool mini-Monaco case design with a twist on this one!

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Near Mint condition original factory printed metallic blue dial with center-radiating sunburst pattern. It also has very cool faceted golden applied bar markers, the wider ones being luminous filled at the quarter hours. The date window is between “4” & “5”. The LONGINES dial printing and all the rest of the minute/seconds ticks are crisp and factory original. There are some dust particles trapped beneath the crystal but otherwise this dial shows only the bare minimum signs of age. The matching gold luminous hour and minute hands with black fill are likewise original and Near Mint and the slender white baton sweep seconds is Excellent+. A beautiful blue dial layout from the funky 70s!

CROWN: Correct signed steel crown has sharp knurling and just a bit of wear to its rounded surface. It sits flush to the case, winds smoothly and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nicely arced square acrylic crystal is very clean with barely any scratches and no chips, Near Mint.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood of this watch is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 431 high-beat automatic wind movement with Kif-Ultraflex shock protection, excenter regulator and semi-quickset date function. I believe that this highly regarded movement is among the last of the in-house Longines calibers before the quartz revolution took its toll on the company and they started outsourcing movements. While I would normally open the case to take movement photos, this watch is a tricky one: it has a split stem you have to remove before extracting the movement & dial. Additionally, if it is anything like the Monaco, if you pull the crystal off incorrectly you could damage the dial if the gasket sticks. So I didn't want to take a chance on botching the job with this unusual snap-together case and I figured I will leave it to a qualified professional. However, from my research these models invariably come with the cal. 431 and while the jewel count and number of adjustments may vary, just by looking at the sweep seconds hand I can tell it’s the high beat movement with 36,000 A/h. While not serviced while in my possession this great Longines is running well, keeping excellent time with a strong power reserve and date function operating as it should. This is guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipping.

BAND: This great Longines comes on a brand new de Beer Paris black leather strap with semi-gloss lizard finish. This watch takes surprisingly wide 20mm straps.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great 100% genuine vintage Longines is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

2. Optimizer13 Dec 16, 2015

PM sent!

adam78 and UncleBuck like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 16, 2015

Damn!

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 16, 2015

Very cool Ultra-Chron! :cool:

This should go quickly (I hope, cuz the longer I look at it...::love::)

5. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2015

This better be sold. It's in awesome shape and is VERY uncommon.

6. tomvox1 Dec 16, 2015

Thanks, guys, and yes: OHPF! ;)
    All the best & Happy Holidays,
    Tom

George.A likes this.