Forums Latest Members
  1. JKAY Feb 12, 2017

Hi guys!

Jeff here. Been looking at this vintage 1967 cal 565 crosshair on ebay. Would love all of your expert opinions on whether or not this is a good piece to purchase. There are no pictures of the movement (i'm trying to get them and will post as soon as possible). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg
  2. U5512 Feb 13, 2017

Dial is original and it's in good condition. What is that blob (may be a scratch on the crystal) at the 4 o'clock marker?

3. ConElPueblo Feb 13, 2017

Good eye... Since the blob is in the same place when viewed from two positions, I'd say it is on the dial.

@JKAY, it is a common reference you are looking at and they are often found for sale. The condition is reasonable, but if you'd like one that is excellent, one will show up sooner or later, as these are often found for sale. I guess it has something to do with being a late 60's - early 70's watch introduced at the same time quartz watches came into fashion. A lot of watches suddenly felt rather obsolete and I guess that a lot of these went either unsold or was put into drawers instead of being used regularly.

It is a monocoque case which makes it a bit more inaccesible to service, but at the same time makes for a very dust- and moisture proof environment, further making these hold up nicely over time.

4. WatchmakerTheory Feb 13, 2017

Looks like a nice watch! Depending on the price, it could be a fine purchase.

I hope you can get pictures of the movement, but taking these apart is a little bit more difficult.

5. JKAY Feb 13, 2017

@U5512 looks like a scratch. I've reached out to the seller to see if they can comment on it. Nothing mentioned in the posting, which seems a little odd. Thanks for the feedback.
    @ConElPueblo Thanks for the info on the history and the description about the case. Super informative. Makes the watch even more attractive to me.
    @WatchmakerTheory It's currently at a price of 455USD. From reading other threads and links, the price ranges from 350USD (decent condition) to 650USD (great/excellent condition). Would it be fair to say anything under 550USD for this piece is a solid purchase?

Appreciate all your comments.

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 13, 2017

$455 may be a touch high considering the potential issue with dial at the 4 (if it is in fact the dial). Also gold plated watches are less desirable right now compared to the white metals.
    I am a sucker for the crosshair dials though.
    2016-01-17 004.JPG

7. JKAY Feb 13, 2017

@kingsrider I think it's the crystal. I sent an email looking to confirm.
    I'm hoping I can snag it for under $500. I don't mind the gold plated, just love how it looks. :)
    I am also a sucker for the crosshairs. Your watch is beautiful.