Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1960s Steel Longines Cal. 30L w/ Beautiful Deco Arabics Dial

1. tomvox1 Aug 21, 2015

Longines30L-lng copy.jpg Longines30L-6 copy.jpg Up for sale is this great looking early 1960s Longines in all-stainless steel 3-piece water resistant case featuring a beautiful original silver-white dial with very cool stylized gold deco Arabic numerals and engine turned subsidiary seconds chapter. This great vintage Longines is in overall Excellent+ original condition and is powered by the terrific in-house caliber 30L hand wound movement. A classic gent's dress size at 35mm in diameter, this Longines wears large, as they say, because of the small bezel, big face and long, beefy lugs. I've already received an email heritage certificate from Longines' wonderfully helpful historic department and this reference 7176 was originally sold in 1961 by their agent Thulins in Sweden, the country where I sourced the watch. Obviously, I'll provide a copy of this nice bit of verified history to the lucky new owner of this cool Longines.

The asking price for this great vintage Longines 30L is $875 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is also OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.
    Longines30L-7 copy.jpg Longines30L-5 copy.jpg Longines30L-4 copy.jpg Longines30L-angl copy.jpg Longines30L-8 copy.jpg Longines30L-bk copy.jpg Longines30L-move copy.jpg Longines30L-innrbk copy.jpg Longines30L-crwn copy.jpg Longines30L-sd copy.jpg Longines30L-2 copy.jpg Longines30L-9 copy.jpg
    CASE & BACK: 3-piece stainless steel case with slim press-on bezel and screw-in back in the classic men's dress size of 35mm wide (not including crown) and a large 42mm long. The elongated, beefy lugs have crisp chamfers and while the watch shows superficial marks and scratches from wear, it doesn't look to me as if it has ever been polished. The back also has superficial minor scratches but is dedication-free. Therefore, I rate the case and back as in Excellent+ original condition for a 50+-year-old watch. The inner case and back lip show no visible corrosion and the back screws in nice and tightly. Inside, it is stamped with all correct Longines period nomenclature and the correct reference 7176, a model mostly found in the European market and usually in Scandinavia.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Excellent+ condition original factory printed silver-white dial with engine turned subsidiary seconds and full golden Arabic numerals and Longines "wings" logo. The LONGINES dial printing and all the rest of the minute and seconds ticks are crisp and factory original. The eccentric gold deco-style numerals are very distinctive and classy -- definitely not a look you see everyday! The dial has just a hint of warm, creamy patina throughout with slightly more on the right side, though I have to say this is more pronounced in the photos than in real life. Some of the small original luminous dots have flattened over time, though none are completely missing. Golden long dauphine hour and minute hands have all luminous fill intact and are likewise Excellent+, as is the small golden sub seconds hand. Just a cool and classy layout on this early 60s stunner!

CROWN: Correct (I believe) unsigned "domed" steel crown is very clean with sharp knurling. It sits flush to the case, winds smoothly and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nicely domed acrylic crystal is very clean with only minor scuffs and superficial scratches, Excellent+.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood of this watch is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 30L 17-jewel manual wind movement with shock protection. This oversize (13.25 lignes!) and highly regarded movement has a lovely finish and is very clean. It has an 11.5 million movement serial number and thanks to Longines great heritage department we now know the watch was invoiced to Thulins, their agent in Sweden at that time, in 1961. While I do not know its service history, the movement winds smoothly, runs strong and keeps very good time. It is guaranteed to be working properly at the time of shipment.

BAND: This classic Longines comes on a new padded matte black leather strap with white metal tang buckle. This watch takes 18mm straps.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great 100% genuine vintage Longines is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 21, 2015

Nice looking example, and uncommon for sure. Excellent detail in the ad, too.

GLWTS

3. Pasbru Aug 23, 2015

You never fail to impress GLWTS.....if it was a jumbo size it would be mine! :thumbsup:

4. tomvox1 Aug 23, 2015

Thank you very much for the kind words, gents! And if it were a jumbo it would be well over $1k. ;)
    Definitely does wear large, though. :thumbsup: :D
    Best,
    T.