Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1960s Steel Longines Cal. 285 w/ Beautiful Silver Sunburst Dial — SERVICED

1. tomvox1 Nov 7, 2015

LonginesCal285Silver-8 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-7 copy.jpg Up for sale is this great looking 1960s Longines in all-stainless steel 2-piece water resistant front loading case featuring a beautiful original non-luminous silver sunburst dial with very cool stylized 12 & 6 Arabic numerals. This cool vintage Longines is in overall Near Mint original condition and is powered by the terrific in-house caliber 285 hand wound movement with date complication. This American market Star Watch-cased beauty is a classic gent's dress size at 35mm in diameter and definitely has that Mad Men feel on the wrist. It has just been fully overhauled by my watchmaker for years' more faithful service and therefore will come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal non-abusive use.

The asking price for this super stylish and fully serviced vintage Longines cal. 285 is $725 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is also OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.
    LonginesCal285Silver-9 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-3 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-5 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-10 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-3 copy.jpg
    LonginesCal285Silver-bk copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-crwn copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-sd copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-2 copy.jpg LonginesCal285Silver-wrst copy.jpg

CASE & BEZEL: 2-piece front loading stainless steel case with slim press-on bezel in the classic men's dress size of 35mm wide (not including crown) by about 42mm long. The wide, sharply angled lugs have crisp chamfers and it doesn't look to me as if the case has ever been polished -- in fact, the watch shows barely any marks from wear. The back is dedication-free, shows its original circular grain finish and has all the typical nomenclature for a monoblock Star Watch case of this time. The bezel is also untouched and shows its original brushed finish. Overall the case & bezel are in true Near Mint condition, not something one can say about a 50-year-old watch too often!

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Mint condition original factory printed silver dial with unusual vertical sunburst pattern radiating form the 6. It also features elongated Arabic numerals for the 12 & 6, applied bar markers for the rest and a framed date window at "3". The LONGINES dial printing and all the rest of the minute/seconds ticks are crisp and factory original. The eccentric numerals are very distinctive and classy -- a real Mad Men throwback sort of look. Despite being marked "T" for Tritium this dial is completely non-luminous. The matching non-luminous silver hands are nicely faceted sword & dagger style and are likewise Mint, as is the slender baton sweep seconds. Another beautiful and classic layout from Longines' heyday!

CROWN: Correct (I believe) unsigned small steel crown has sharp knurling and just a bit of wear to its rounded surface. It sits flush to the case, winds smoothly and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nicely domed acrylic crystal is very clean with only minor wear, Excellent+.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood of this watch is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 285 17-jewel manual wind movement with shock protection, excenter regulator and semi-quickset date function. I believe that this highly regarded movement is among the last of the in-house Longines manual wind calibers before outsourcing hand-winding movements to Record. While I would normally open the case to take movement photos, this watch is in such pristine condition that I didn't want to take a chance on botching the job with this tricky front-loading case. However, in addition to providing the caliber number -- and fully servicing the movement including a new mainspring! -- my watchmaker was also good enough to provide the movement serial. It is in the 13.9 million range and the complete movement serial will be given to the new owner, of course. Obviously, I guarantee that the watch has the 285 ticking away under the hood and being freshly serviced it is keeping good time with all functions working as they should and a good power reserve. It will therefore also come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal, non-abusive use.

BAND: This classic Longines comes on a lightly used padded black leather strap with semi-gloss croc finish in Excellent+ condition. This watch takes 18mm straps.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great 100% genuine vintage Longines is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

LonginesCal285Silver-4 copy.jpg
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 7, 2015

Is it true that you giving it away for free to anyone who can correctly identify the car in the photo? :rolleyes:

3. Optimizer13 Nov 7, 2015

PM sent!

4. tomvox1 Nov 7, 2015

That would be a good contest... but no! :D
    All the best,
    Tom

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 7, 2015

Too easy for Brits -of a certain age...
    Lovely watch though

6. tomvox1 Nov 7, 2015

OHPF!
    Best,
    T.

7. Hijak Nov 7, 2015

Good move, very nice watch! Hope your getting this...I want to see it.:thumbsup:

Optimizer13 likes this.
  8. marturx Nov 8, 2015

Congratulations!

You're putting though the sales ad bar at unreasonable heights to us more "casual" hobby sellers :D

This is by far the most thorough and ambitious sales ad I've seen here! :)

dougiedude and rupertthebear like this.
  9. tomvox1 Nov 8, 2015

Thank you very much! Though in fairness if you search my ads going back many years now this is how I've always done it. And if it puts upward pressure on people selling watches to raise their game a bit -- especially true professional dealers -- well, there are worse things. ;)
    Best regards & BTW your ads -- and watches! -- are always excellent as well. :thumbsup:
    Tom

dougiedude, rupertthebear and tinger like this.