Forums Latest Members

FS Vintage 1950s ref. 2846 Omega cal. 501 Automatic Seamaster--SERVICED

1. tomvox1 Mar 24, 2014

OmegaSM2846-lng_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-8_edited-1.JPG
    Up for sale is this lovely reference 2846 Omega Seamaster featuring the early full-rotor caliber 501 and desirable "Beefy Lug" case. The all stainless steel 3-piece case does not appear to have ever been polished and the bright silver quarter-Arabics dial is all-original as well. It sports an early version of the famous Hippocampus medallion on its press-in back and I have added a new Omega crystal and correct crown. The movement has also just been fully overhauled by my watchmaker, including an expensive replacement of the lower auto bridge, and will come with a 6-month movement warranty for all normal non-abusive photos. Please note that the movement and inner caseback photos were taken prior to the service and crown installation, as I did not want to open the watch again after getting it back. This late 1950s Seamaster is in Excellent overall vintage condition.

The asking price for this beautiful and fully serviced classic Omega Seamaster is $950 USD. This price includes fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire is always appreciated but Paypal is OK on this watch with split fees (+2 to the buyer%). Other payment options upon application. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS.

OmegaSM2846-4_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-11_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-9_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-5_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-bk_edited-1.jpg OmegaSM2846-move_edited-1.JPG OmegaSM2846-innrbk_edited-1.JPG OmegaSM2846-crwn_edited-1.JPG OmegaSM2846-sd_edited-1.JPG OmegaSM2846-6_edited-1.jpg
    CASE & BACK: Classic and beautifully proportioned gent's dress size, 34mm wide (not including crown) by 41mm long all-stainless steel 3-piece case with thick, press-on bezel and hermetic snap back. This case shows use but no polish that I can tell, with sharp chamfers. There are some minor scuffs & scratches but the case and bezel are easily in Excellent vintage condition. The press-in caseback is in Excellent+ unpolished condition with only minor marks and a really sharp early Sea Monster medallion. The inner case shows some minor corrosion but the back lip doesn't really. All Omega nomenclature of the period is present inside the caseback, including the correct 2846 reference.

DIAL & HANDS: Lovely satin-silver dial with applied white gold faceted dagger and quarter Arabics markers and Omega logo. Although there are a few spots and marks to dial, all original factory printing is crisp and legible--not perfect but Excellent unrestored vintage condition on this dial. The original radium luminous dots have darkened with age. Original Alpha-style white metal hour and minute hands also show a bit of age and there is some small loss of the darkened original luminous fill, Very Good condition, while the sweep seconds is a bit cleaner and so Excellent. On the wrist, this is a lovely and bright classic 50s Seamaster layout.

MOVEMENT: Beautiful copper colored Omega cal. 501 20-jewel full-rotor automatic movement with shock protection and Swan Neck regulator. The 16 million movement serial number dates to circa 1958 according to Omega's tables, making it a relatively early full rotor movement for the manufacture. As stated above, it was recently fully overhauled by my Master Watchmaker after years of neglect, including replacement of the lower auto bridge. Also as stated above, the picture of the movement was taken before being sent for service so please forgive any gunk in the photos--it has been fully cleaned since then! ;) So of course, the watch is keeping very good time with strong power reserve and is guaranteed for 6-months of normal, non-abusive use and is good to go for many more years of daily wear, saving you hundreds of dollars.

CROWN: Genuine Omega and brand new modern-era water resistant push-in notched steel replacement crown--Mint condition. The crown pushes in tightly to the case, winds the movement and pulls out to the non-hack time setting position exactly as it should.

CRYSTAL: Genuine Omega and brand new modern-era acrylic crystal with logo and silver tension ring is also Mint.

BAND: This great Omega comes on a nice and very lightly used water resistant matte black leather strap in Excellent+ condition with generic steel buckle. This watch takes 18mm straps.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This classic vintage Omega Seamaster is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

OmegaSM2846-3_edited-1.jpg
  2. tomvox1 Mar 25, 2014

ON HOLD.
    Best,
    T.