Forums Latest Members

Vintage 1940's Omega Automatic Discovery, Adivce?, Info?, a $1000 service?

1. amegaomega May 9, 2016

Here I have a "Mid 1940's" Caliber 28.10 RA PC
    Case Ref F6212
    Movt Serial 11075671
    IMG_2959.JPG
    What a story I purchased this today at a local thrift for $7.99 and figured what the heck its probably fake. A sketchy "we buy gold" store and a $500 offer and a 5th ave Omega store visit later and I find out that I have my very own 1940's (I assume 46 considering the others I have seen similar but not exact) The crown has been replaced, The Hesalite has been replaced at some point (not uncommon for a jeweler to do pre-1970's according to the rep lYana lYota who was a pleasure to speak with) and the heavy worse for wear solid 14k Band isn't original (off to scrap it goes it doesn't fit me).

I am at a bit of a crossroads the Customer Service Manager was very insightful and pleasant brought out her large book and gave me a fascinating history lesson. She then proceeded to tell me that this piece will have to be sent to Switzerland and it will cost $1025.00 to service after opening it and getting the proper numbers inside. I am a college student who just fell in love with this watch that keeps perfect time as of now. Realistically what are my options here because dang that is expensive. This is a special piece and I cant stop looking at it in awe. What are my other cleaning and servicing options and does anybody have any info about this beyond what I was told at Omega today. This has roman numerals instead of numbers that I haven't seen in similar models in my research. What can I realistically value this at? I really want to enjoy this piece I could see it in 30 years being at a hundred years old.

Also if the hesalite needs to be replaced again eventually how plausible is that for this in this day and age for a model so old if I wear it for a few years?

IMG_2956.JPG IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG
    GregH, Giff2577 and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2016

Do not let Omega service it. There are plenty of members who can recommend watchmakers. Are you in New York?

3. Willem023 May 10, 2016

and please-please do not use it till you have a watchmaker service it.
    you might ruin the inside of the watch

efauser likes this.
  4. marturx May 10, 2016

All sales are final.... That's to bad. For them :) In this case. A big congrats on an awesome find! It's still possible, which is encouraging to see.

know a guy in NYC who may be able to service it. Far better than to have it sent to Switzerland, and much cheaper

5. Kja May 10, 2016

Donut scrap that bracelet! It Is a brick bracelet and many would love too have it! You could get a pretty penny for it! And that watch is gorgeous!

6. Alex1974 May 10, 2016

I own a cal. 28.10 too.
    Since Omega Service Center Germany is virtually my neighbour, I went over (that time without the watch) and asked what it would cost to service it....
    And when one of these guys starts the reply with "ohhhh", you know its gonna be expensive.... :(
    Minimum is 1000€ because its not a service but a restoration where parts might have to be reproduced individually...
    Right now my Speedy is there for "check up" but will pick it up unrepaired (different story...)
    But I learned, that checking and price estimation is for free (and I don't need shipping ;) )
    So after reading your Thread I will just go over and see if they will aslo check my 28.10 for free and give me an estimation...
    Will keep you updated!

7. amegaomega May 10, 2016

I am in NYC and any service that can be recommended would be great! also KJA the bracelet is damaged and I would not trust it to secure any watch. Can anyone ballpark the watches value?

8. Alex1974 May 10, 2016

ok, returned from Omega...
    Different person at the desk today, no price estimation.
    But if the watch can be done in Germany, I should get infos by mid of next week.
    If it has to be send to Switzerland, it takes longer...

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2016

Google and eBay can.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2016

This watch is a Category 4, so if you take it to Omega, they must have it sent to Switzerland for service - Omega service centers have no option on that since they mandate that all Cat. 4 watches go to Bienne.

Finding an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account is your best bet for a sympathetic restoration.

Cheers, Al

11. TNTwatch May 10, 2016

The watch alone weighs about 25-30gr. Depends on if it's 14k or 18k and who you sell to, dealer or end user, it's worth $500-800 to over $1000.

If the bracelet is really broken, it's only worth scrap value then. How much does it weigh?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 10, 2016

Scrap value of the band is probably close to the $500 offer you received.

The watch is 14K gold plate, so no real intrinsic value to the case. The watch looks all original, except for the crown. Here is some more information on your watch:

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=655e7946fec05e434c1fb17caabddf8d

A complete service should run you about $200 if no parts are needed. Parts can start adding a lot of costs quickly.

If you do nothing but sell the band and use the funds to pay for the service, you'll wind up a couple of hundred ahead with a nice old Omega thrown in to the bargain.

Maybe a donation to the charity that runs the thrift shop might be in order?
    gatorcpa

Flingit1200s, Deafboy and Garv like this.
  13. TNTwatch May 10, 2016

What magic did you use to know it was gold plated? ;)

14. amegaomega May 10, 2016

can you recommend how I find a service? can I take it to any reputable watch maker/repair?

15. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ May 10, 2016

All of that seems right on the money from my experience. But what are the chances a watch of that vintage (1946) found in a thrift shop will need no new parts? Based on the many OF posts on this subject, especially those of Archer Al, it would seem the OP has a good chance of ending up with a beautiful watch in good shape for little or no money, but probably no fat profit. Of course, my own comments have a distinct flavor of sour grapes. ;)

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2016

Possible? Yes. Probable? Not in my experience. You won't know until it's been taken apart, cleaned, and the parts inspected under a microscope. I'm sure you could find a watchmaker that will just put it back together with worn parts...

17. amegaomega May 10, 2016

The band weighs 28.6 grams just slightly over an ounce and the highest offer I received was $513. I will eventually have it serviced so I wan wear it on special occasions! I am afraid to wear it until then

18. TNTwatch May 10, 2016

That's less than scrap gold value for the bracelet alone. Is the watch's case solid gold or gold plated?

19. TNTwatch May 10, 2016

If the band is gold plated then it's worth almost nothing.

Edited May 11, 2016
  20. amegaomega May 11, 2016

I made a typo lol the watch is gp the band is solid 14k I am going to get a nice leather pebble strap or something with a unique texture. I think that would look very nice.