Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1940s Longines “Special” Cal. 27M Sei Tacche BLACK Radium Dial

1. tomvox1 Aug 22, 2017

LonginesSpecial27M-lng2 copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-14 copy.jpg
    Up for sale is this great looking 1940s-era Longines Special in stainless steel 2-piece “Sei Tacche" screw back case featuring a beautiful original military-style black gloss dial with radium Arabic numerals. This great vintage Longines is in overall Excellent original condition and features the terrific in-house caliber 27M sub-seconds movement. All in all, at 33.5 mm this is a beautifully proportioned medium-sized watch with a rare original black dial that wears wonderfully well on the wrist and is a really fine example of its era. I have also already gotten a reply from Longines stating that this cool watch was sold in Sweden in 1948 and the new owner will obviously get a copy of that email certificate, which is a tribute to Longines’ excellent after sales service and understandable pride in their history.

The asking price for this great Longines Special Sei Tacche is $1450 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal is also OK on this watch with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

LonginesSpecial27M-13 copy.jpg
    LonginesSpecial27M-15 copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-11 copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-10 copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-16 copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-bk copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-move copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-innrbk copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-crwn copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-sd copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-wrst copy.jpg LonginesSpecial27M-12 copy.jpg
    CASE & BACK: This Special features a classic midsize two-piece all-steel “Sei Tacche” screw back case with stepped bezel that measures approximately 33.5mm wide not including crown x 42.5mm long x about 10mm thick to the top of the crystal. “Sei Tacche” refers to the 6 notches for opening the screwed back just as “Tre Tacche” refers to water resistant Longines cases with only 3 notches. Hard to say for sure but the watch doesn't look to me as if it has been polished and it obviously shows small small nicks and wear marks but nothing harsh — Excellent original condition for a nearly 70-year-old watch. There is also a mysterious stamped number on the underside of the top left lug, which I have seen on others of these Specials but have no I idea what it represents. The back shows its original finish and has some scratches from poor opening technique and a bit of what looks like a NATO-strap burn — Very Good dedication-free condition. The correct stamped reference number of 23502 and production number (I assume) of 190 are crisp on the outer back while the inner case back is stamped with the Longines name and Acier Inox to indicate an all steel watch. The back screws down firmly as it was designed to do.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Excellent condition original factory printed black gloss dial with minute track & full Radium luminous Arabic numerals with calibrated engine turned sub-seconds at the “6” position. Though I know of no military pedigree it is easy to imagine this dial was designed with sale to the armed forces in mind or at least certainly with the memory of Longines’ excellent WWII-era watches still echoing just a few short years later. The dial has aged beautifully with some Radium burns and other flaws to the gloss surface that give it fantastic true vintage character and the Radium numerals have a gorgeous patina. The long, luminous-filled hour and minute hands and sweep seconds show some corrosion and it could be that the minute hand was re-lumed at some point as the tone does not quite match. Hands are nevertheless original to the watch and in Very Good condition, including the small constant seconds within the sub dial.

CROWN: Correct (I believe) nicely sized unsigned knurled steel crown shows only light wear and sits flush to the case. It winds smoothly and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nice low domed acrylic crystal shows minor surface wear and some particles beneath on the underside -- that partial circular reflection is on the crystal not the dial. Very Good condition.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood of this Special is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 27M manual wind movement with shock protection. I had a hard time identifying it, thinking it was some version of the 12L series but with slightly different bridges. And in the end it probably is a direct descendent of those great calibers, as it so similar and also measures 12 lignes in diameter. As stated above, Longines was able to match the movement’s 7.35 million serial number to their records, confirming not only a manufacture date of 1948 but also that the movement is correct for the case. This is an extremely well finished movement and the nickel plating quite handsome to look at. While the service history is unknown it is running well and keeping good time. This is guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipment.

BAND: This classic Longines comes on a really attractive and suitable dark brown pigskin-finish leather strap. It is essentially new and Near Mint overall. This watch has a lug width of 18mm.

As a matter if policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great vintage Longines Special is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Aug 22, 2017
  2. tomvox1 Aug 26, 2017

Longines Bump