Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 166.0077 Omega Seamaster PloProf w/ Unpolished Case—SERVICED

1. tomvox1 Jan 26, 2015

Selling part of a friend's collection with my 100% backing. I am in possession of the watch and will handle the shipping; payment will go directly to him.
    PloProf-lng_edited-1.jpg PloProf-6_edited-1.jpg
    Up for sale is this awesome vintage ref. 166.0077 Omega Seamaster PloProf 600 meters, the original cult diving classic from the 1970s. This all-time great Omega features an unpolished steel case in Excellent condition and an Excellent+ Mark “3b” deep blue dial. This PloProf also comes on its original hard-to-find 1162 bracelet with correct 162 end links. To put the cherry on top of the sundae this legendary diver has just been completely overhauled by my watchmaker, including comprehensive movement service, new stem, correct date wheel installation and proper crown-left alignment and repairs to the screw down crown mechanism. After this costly service it will therefore come with a 6-month movement warranty against all normal, non-abusive use.

The asking price for this iconic vintage Omega PloProf is $4950 USD including fully insured worldwide FedEx shipping. Payment is by Bank Wire only and directly to my consignor on this transaction. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. Please contact me at [email protected] for all inquiries.
    PloProf-5_edited-1.jpg PloProf-2_edited-1.jpg PloProf-7_edited-1.jpg PloProf-1_edited-1.jpg PloProf-4_edited-1.jpg PloProf-clsp_edited-1.jpg PloProf-bk_edited-1.jpg PloProf-crwn_edited-1.jpg PloProf-sd_edited-1.jpg PloProf-clsp2_edited-1.jpg PloProf-ends_edited-1.jpg PloProf-3_edited-1.jpg
    CASE: Massive and iconic asymmetrical monoblock SS case (approximately 55mm wide x 44 long) engineered for heavy duty deep sea diving. The case has never been polished and so retains its original satin finish and beveled edges. It is in overall Excellent vintage condition with some minor scratches and nicks from wear. An amazingly well crafted and massively macho piece of steel!

BEZEL: Thick, easily gripped bi-directional bezel is released from the locked/safe position by depressing the red button. It is in Excellent condition with only minor wear from age. The acrylic bezel insert with easy–to-read luminous 60-minute calibration appears period original and is Very Good+ with marks to the bakelite and other signs of wear from the years. The bezel rotates and locks down exactly as it was designed.

DIAL & HANDS: Genuine factory Omega deep blue so-called Mark "3b" Luminova dial in Excellent+ condition with a few small scratches and a hint of “bubbling” to the finish apparent with a loupe. These dials, which I feel should rather be called Mark 4 for clarity, are replacements for the PloProf from the modern, post-Tritium era and while this one seems “older” than some I have encountered its Luminova luminous is still glowing strong after light exposure. Big Orange sword minute hand, small dagger hour hand and lume rectangle sweep seconds hand are likewise Luminova-filled and show a greenish patina. The handset as a whole shows a bit of age and loss of paint and is therefore Very Good.

MOVEMENT: Robust Omega cal. 1002 automatic movement with hack feature & quickset date. This movement was just completely serviced by my watchmaker and so is keeping good time and all features are functioning as they should. The movement is guaranteed for 6-months for all normal, non-abusive use.

CROWN & BEZEL LOCK BUTTON: Unique two-part square screw down crown and serrated locking nut. Obviously, unlike so many that one sees for sale these days, this PloProf is in the correct left-hand crown orientation as originally intended, a change I had my watchmaker execute. The crown, which has also been repaired with the proper gaskets added and a new stem installed, screws and unscrews properly and pulls out to the winding, quickset date and hacking time set positions as it should. It’s not an easy watch to wind but it’s always best to do so after it has been sitting for a while to get the proper power into the mainspring, so keep at it! The distinctive red bezel lock button is in Excellent condition with minor signs of use and releases & locks the bezel in place as it should.

CRYSTAL: To quote Omega here: “Monolytic chemically-soaked mineral crystal treated with anti-reflective and anti-abrasive material pressed to 120 kg, then held on the gasket by a screw-in ring.” ;) The xtal is in Excellent+ condition with only a couple of minor scratches.

BRACELET: Genuine vintage Omega ref. 1162 Speedy-style bracelet with correct 24mm “162” ends in Excellent+ condition with minimum stretch and only minor scratches. It’s not easy to find these period original and correct PloProf bracelets in this sort of condition and this one fits up to a 7.5” or slightly larger wrist at full length.

As a matter of policy I make no guarantees for the water resistance of this watch. I would be willing to bet 5 bucks that it will pass its pressure test, though. ;)

This rare vintage PloProf is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Jan 26, 2015
    Dr Who and Taddyangle like this.