Forums Latest Members
  1. wasabipea Oct 20, 2012

hi all, newbie here... and would like everyone's expertise.

I am looking to buy this watch:
    1960s Omega Manual Winding Movement. 17Jewels, Caliber 650
    14k white gold
    2 rounds diamonds of unknown clarity and color (not 100%sure if it's even real diamond, o is it crystals)
    14mm dia excluding crown

Can you please provide any knowledge if the watch looks out of ordinary, authencity, the condition...

Does the watch look like a Franken watch
    please provide me any of your opinions.
    much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MyVintageOmega Oct 20, 2012

[​IMG] A similar watch 1960's in 14k gold being sold for $399///// I would submit that members would need larger Images of your watch to sense a good take on it.If the diamonds are real of coarse the value is considerably more. Just a guess but from your images it seems like a nice peice in good condition but larger images would invite a better critic. IMO

3. wasabipea Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for reply. Pls see my clearer pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now await for this watches arrival

Any opinions welcome

Ta

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 20, 2012

It is quite genuine, serial number dates to ca 1966/67.

USA delivery quite typical of the period and appears to be in very nice condition.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2012

They generally call them cocktail watches, the sort of thing a lady would wear with a formal dress

6. wasabipea Oct 20, 2012

Thx guys.. Think it's going to be my everyday watch..

I paid about 550 for it....

Do you guys reckon I overpaid?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2012

A lot will depend on a gemologist evaluation of the stones (easy to get) But if you did not by terribly much.

8. wasabipea Oct 21, 2012

Apologies, can you pls explain if there is a price difference if a watch is 17 jewel, 21jewel, 24 jewel?
    Thanks

9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 21, 2012

The number of jewels relates to how many of the bearings/bushes are jeweled. Jeweled bearings are infinitely more durable than metal bushes and when oiled provide an excellent surface in which the pinions rotate. 17 jewels for a hand wind watch is about perfect.

Your watch is from the Omega Saphette range, called so because of the brilliantly cut underside of the crystal. This was a very popular design that first surfaced in the 50s and lasted for more than two decades.

The name Saphette was coined by Bernard Kliman the marketing manager for the US importer, Norman Morris Corp. Your watch is a US cased model, indicated by marking EE 7503 and the OXG stamped on the movement. The Case maker is most probably Ross.

Lovely piece. These watches are making a big comeback in estate jewelry shops and your price of $550 is very reasonable as case and bracelet would be worth that much alone. Not sure with the US cased models, but the Swiss cased diamond Saphettes always had diamonds of a quality from D - F.

Cheers

Desmond

wasabipea likes this.
  10. wasabipea Oct 25, 2012

guys, i received my watch today.

some things i noticed is the back part of the crown is in different color. the crown itself is gold-ish color and the back is white gold / silver color. However I still believe the back is a genuine omega part but its for a different watch of similar size. The back is signed.

another thing i noticed was the wrist band is not the original omega band. It says 10k on the band

other than that the watch is good good condition (especially the dial), also the watch is definately in working condition

should i complain? i paid $550 for it.

11. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 25, 2012

Crown may well be gold plated as many crowns are. Not a biggie.

So there is no Omega symbol or stamp on the back of the clasp? If not, the bracelet could have been purchased at point of sale (quite a common occurrence in the 60s) or later. Never-the-less it looks good with the watch.

I can't see any reason for complaint, unless the seller specifically stated things about the watch that have been shown to be inaccurate. $550 for this watch is not unreasonable in my opinion. Serviced every four years or thereabouts this piece has the potential to out-tick you, and so I would be quite chuffed about the acquisition. An elegant jewelery watch with a couple of nice diamonds of this quality and brand if manufactured today would set you back thousands.

May be worth sourcing a good independent watchmaker so as to have him check if the movement still has oil in it. Good lubrication is the key to longevity.
    Cheers

Desmond

wasabipea likes this.
  12. wasabipea Oct 25, 2012

Thanks Des

I now also noticed After winding it 5 turns, the movement slowed to a stop after about 5 hours run...

Is this normal? Ta

13. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 25, 2012

Nope not normal.

One assumption collectors make, unless documentation is provided to show that a service has been recently done, isthat a watch will need a clean and oil on arrival. You should have about thirty hours on a full mainspring.

Cheers D

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2012

5 turns? You need about 30 turns if it will

Edit: forgot this was a little womens watch.::shy::

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2012

If you were only able to turn the crown 5 turns before it got tight, that is not normal.

If you are able to wind the watch 20 turns or more from a stop, that should be OK.

General rule is that the watch should run about an hour per turn of the crown. Ladies' cocktail watches may be a bit different, since the mainsprings are smaller.

gatorcpa

16. wasabipea Oct 25, 2012

Oops I didn't know I should it turn till it is tight..... I just assume winding 5 turns would be ok.
    Sorry, i am newbie

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2012

That's fine, let us know how you make out.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2012

19. wasabipea Nov 15, 2012

Thanks, nice looking box.. but at the moment, i m far too peed off that the watch is 20min slower over the 24 hour cycle.

lol